Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

DaveO
PFC
PFC

An unusual problem...

Post by DaveO »

Hi all,

A buddy of mine is having difficulty with his truck; It quits when he goes around corners! He has clean new gas, adds alcohol, and has installed a petcock on the carb to drain any water that may be in there. He is currently using a poly gas jug in lieu of the tank until he can get a proper tank fabbed. It will start right back up when he straightens out again. Wierd.

Any idears?

Thanks!

Dave
Dave Ostlund
1941 WC9
1952 M37 W/W
1953 M38A1
M116
RTFB
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Re: An unusual problem...

Post by powerwagontim »

Maybe it isnt a fuel problemm but an electrical one. Could be a wire is loosing its connection in the centrifugal force of the corner and regaining it without the centrifugal force. Is it only going around curves one way, or will it quit on both? Maybe he could move to Nebraska, the roads are pretty straight there!
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Will this problem occur when on a rough road? Tim has mentioned electrical and that sounds most likely what is going on!, but best is to start with basics,check fuel pressure, then when the engine is running check for a short by touching and moving primary and secondary wiring and just put a slight push and tug any wires, check the battery terminals and connections at the starter, it could be a wire short in the distributer it might take some time to find it, but good luck! :wink:

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
DaveO
PFC
PFC

Post by DaveO »

Sorry for the slow response. Busy getting ready for the big weekend. As to the problem: The heck of it is that it quit doing it. I put 30 miles on it on twisty-turny hilly roads, and it running just fine. Gotta love those problems that fix themselves! I'm sure it will present itself during the parade tomorrow.

Thanks for your input!

Dave
Dave Ostlund
1941 WC9
1952 M37 W/W
1953 M38A1
M116
RTFB
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

powerwagontim wrote: Is it only going around curves one way, or will it quit on both? Maybe he could move to Nebraska, the roads are pretty straight there!
Tim
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! ANYWAY. I THINK IT IS AN ELECTRICAL ISSUE TOO. SOME WIRE IS NOT CONNECTED STURDILY. LAST WEEK A FRIEND GOT STRANDED WITH HIS HARLEY. IT WOULD FIRE UP AND DIE IN A SECOND OR TWO. TURNED OUT THE BATTERY TERMINAL CONECTION WAS LOOSE. CHECK OUT ALL MAIN CONNECTIONS WHEN YOU GUYS GET A CHANCE. GOOD LUCK :D
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Sotven,
Your Harley story reminds me of one a friend had told me. His Wife drove a 76 VW wagon. He got a call saying it wouldnt start. He drove to her place of work, got in, and it started right up. A few days later, same deal. This went on for a while, frustrating both of them. He finally traced it to the battery, which was located under the drivers seat. the ground cable had worked its way up, and broke the connection. Ray would sit down on the seat to start it, and being heavier than his wife, it would push the cable back down and it would start right up!
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!