Gas Tank Sending Unit

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Sal
SFC
SFC

Gas Tank Sending Unit

Post by Sal »

I had a problem with my Gas tank sending unit. After about 2 years of not having gas in the tank, last year I got to the point in my rebuild that it was time to fill the tank. The sending unit I installed 3 years ago was new. I had no problems with it until about 2 months ago when my gas gauge started to read empty. After trouble shooting the circuit I found that the float on the sending unit had a hole/crack in it on the soldered seam and was full of gas. I replaced the float with the one from the old unit and it works just fine now. My question is has this happened to anyone else or am I a special case ? LOL :shock:

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Josh
SFC
SFC

Re: Gas Tank Sending Unit

Post by Josh »

my original sender had a cork float on it. Not sure if that was original or not...
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Mine also had a cork float.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

Good morning Sal & all,
My gas gauage was working fine, then it stopped. Reads empty now, wonder if the float got full of gas?? How hard is it to pull the sending unit and ck the float with a full tank of gas?? THANKS BOB
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Pulling the sender with a full tank isnt a problem, the sender screws to the top of the tank. Remove the cover plate at the rear of the bed, then remove the sending unit. (Its the round plate with the wire connected to it) Be careful removing it if you plan on re-using the gasket, as it is cork and probably pretty brittle. Better would be to have a new gasket on hand and not have to bother with the old one. You dont want gas sloshing out through a bad gasket after you put it back together!
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Bob. There are a few things I would do before pulling the sender out of the gas tank. As Tim said Its no big deal in pulling the unit, But first make sure its the sender that giving you the trouble and not something else. I found this web page to be very helpful http://www.cj3a.info/sibling/milgauge/milgage.htm . I got it from CUZ . If you need help feel free to give me a call or drop by...

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
DaveO
PFC
PFC

Post by DaveO »

Sal,

I had the identical issue after I had mothballed my rig for a couple of years. The gauge didn't work when I ressurected it. I think the float flooded with the first fill.

Dave
Dave Ostlund
1941 WC9
1952 M37 W/W
1953 M38A1
M116
RTFB
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

Sal, Thanks for the troubleshooting link. I will go thru it and see what I come up with