M37 transmission question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

M37 transmission question

Post by Cav Trooper »

I purchased the manuals for my M37 on line and downloaded the pdf files. The TM for the transmission is for the NP420. My question is, can I use that manual for reference when working on my early (1954) transmission? I had the original trans go south, ie; synchro blew up and I found another out of a 53 with what appears to be all good internals. I would like to go through the tranny and check the bearings and install new seals and gasket set. I haven't seen a manual for the early transmission to refer to for specs.

Thanks,

Cav Trooper
HHT 2nd ACR
Merrell Barracks, Nuremberg, Ger.
1967/68
71st AHC, 14th AHB, Americal Div.
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper
cuz
1SG
1SG

Re: M37 transmission question

Post by cuz »

You should have gotten TM 9-8031-2 in the package deal. That covers the overhaul of the old style unit. Pages 141 thru 176.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Cav Trooper wrote:I purchased the manuals for my M37 on line and downloaded the pdf files. The TM for the transmission is for the NP420. My question is, can I use that manual for reference when working on my early (1954) transmission? I had the original trans go south, ie; synchro blew up and I found another out of a 53 with what appears to be all good internals. I would like to go through the tranny and check the bearings and install new seals and gasket set. I haven't seen a manual for the early transmission to refer to for specs.

Thanks,

Cav Trooper
The 420 manual is basically no good for major servicing of the early trans.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

Post by Cav Trooper »

I purchased the TM's from EMILITARY MANUALS. They list TM 9-8030 - TO 36A-1-411 - Operation and Organizational Maintenance
and to my fault, I assumed that it would cover the TM for the early transmission which it does not. I asked for a refund and they responded very quickly to their credit for customer service. Unfortunately since I didn't read all of the fine print and I had purchased the manuals a month ago, no refund is forthcoming. I understand their position and "Caveat Emptor" prevails. I'll just take my businesss elsewhere. Looks like I need the CD that another vendor sells.
BTW, nothing against the EMILITARY vendor, business is business and they don't who may be scamming them.

Cav Trooper
HHT 2nd ACR
Merrell Barracks, Nuremberg, Ger.
1967/68
71st AHC, 14th AHB, Americal Div.
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Cav Trooper wrote:I purchased the TM's from EMILITARY MANUALS. They list TM 9-8030 - TO 36A-1-411 - Operation and Organizational Maintenance
and to my fault, I assumed that it would cover the TM for the early transmission which it does not. I asked for a refund and they responded very quickly to their credit for customer service. Unfortunately since I didn't read all of the fine print and I had purchased the manuals a month ago, no refund is forthcoming. I understand their position and "Caveat Emptor" prevails. I'll just take my businesss elsewhere. Looks like I need the CD that another vendor sells.
BTW, nothing against the EMILITARY vendor, business is business and they don't who may be scamming them.

Cav Trooper
The manual that covers the early trans rebuild instructions is entitled, Power train, body, and frame. Organizational maintenace & Operation is little more that driver maintenance.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Post by Paddyofurniture »

Charles,

Is there a TM number for the manual for the early Power train, body, and frame for the early M37 transmissions?

Thanks,

Paddy
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

TM 9-8031-2
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Thanks Wes.

Now I need to find a copy of TM 9-8031-2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paddy
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Paddyofurniture wrote:Thanks Wes.

Now I need to find a copy of TM 9-8031-2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paddy
Portrayal Press and some others offer the manuals in hard copy. They are also on the CD's from military media for a lot less $$; however you prefer.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Thanks Charles.

I will give them a try.

Paddy
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

I have a copy of TM 9-8031-2 on the way.

More to read and learn.

Thank you all for your help.

Paddy

Member of the "Old OD Green Truck Club” (OODGTC)