Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Tyroma
PFC
PFC

More leaks! Arg!

Post by Tyroma »

Hey Gang...

WIth an upcoming show approaching (...this weekend...) I thought it would be a good idea to put new fluids into the axles, transmission and transfer case.

I put Royal Purple 40wt synthetic into the transmission and transfer case, and gear oil into the the axles.

I parked the truck last night, and when I came out this morning, found a small purple lake in my garage! And before you ask, "no I did NOT forget to put a drain plug back in"....I'll have you know that the wife ALREADY asked that...sheesh!

I found that the fluid seems to have leaked out from the rear output shaft of the transfer case. Funny thing is, is that the transfer case never leaked before! Could it have something to do with the Royal Purple being thinner than the gear oil? Do I need a new output shaft seal?

The rear axle also developed a leak at the driveshaft input.

So...I probably need new shaft seals...my question is, do they press in form the inside or outside? IN other words, am I going to have to tear apart the trans case and axle, or will it just involve removing the driveshaft, the yokes and pressing on new seals?

For now, she will just have to "ooze power" because I am NOT gonna tear it apart until winter!

Thanks

Ty
Tanner
SGT
SGT

Re: More leaks! Arg!

Post by Tanner »

Ty -

I won't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have heard from reliable sources that older seals often find that they don't like newer synthetic lubricants & additives in said lubricants... perhaps this could be the problem?

'Tanner'
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Synthetic oil is too "thin" for older seals. Its common among vehicles even as new as the last 20 years or so to leak when switched to synthetic fluids.

Seals can be changed by removing the yokes and installing new seals (modern rubber ones work best) Tearing down the units isn't neccessary unless other faults are found... Someone here will post up eventually outlinning the correct procedures and listing the "gotcha's" of the job.

Don't all M37's "ooooze" power? :D
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Post by Tyroma »

Hey guys...

That makes sense. I drained the Royal Purple out of the Transfer case (...don't worry, I saved it for a later date...) and put in gear oil. I found the required seals on Vintagepowerwagons.com and see from the exploded diagrams that they should not be too much trouble to get at.

Ah well, another project..

Thanks

Ty
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

It's a good bet that an oil change regardless of the oil type you use will result in leaks if seals are old. It's also a good bet that you will still have the leaks after only doing seal changes. Seldom will a new seal stop the drips and leaks. The problem is often caused by grooved and rust pitted flanges that new seals will not mate properly with, so very soon the leak is back, in many cases they never stop at all. If you rebuild and repair properly, you can stop it, but short of that is most times money wasted. We have built many components and have strived to build leak free units, I know what it takes and you can take this next statement to the bank. Replace with top of the line National or Chicago-Rawhide CR seals, note that I said top of the line. These Companies have cheap seals also. Using these seals, sealing and installing them properly against a properly prepared mating surface will work. Never use NOS seals, you will never be successful with them.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Post by Tyroma »

Charles...

Again, you are a great resource for these questions...so, as I prepare myself...how much are "the top of the line" seals that you recommend? And, do you stock them for sale?

Thanks

Ty
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Tyroma wrote:Charles...

Again, you are a great resource for these questions...so, as I prepare myself...how much are "the top of the line" seals that you recommend? And, do you stock them for sale?

Thanks

Ty
Usually purchase these only when component rebuilds are coming up with the exception of pinion seals that we use with our upgrade kits, I try to keep them on the shelf. We can no longer get extended price quotes on bearings and seals, only 30 days out these days. I need to get some as we have some component builds coming up shortly; I can double up on the order if you would like some.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Post by Tyroma »

[quote="MSeriesRebuild"][quote="Tyroma"]Charles...

Thanks

Ty[/quote]

Usually purchase these only when component rebuilds are coming up with the exception of pinion seals that we use with our upgrade kits, I try to keep them on the shelf. We can no longer get extended price quotes on bearings and seals, only 30 days out these days. I need to get some as we have some component builds coming up shortly; I can double up on the order if you would like some.[/quote]

Charles...

Okay...might as well order me up a set...I need the one of the rear output shaft of the transfer case and the input shaft of the rear axle. All the other seals are holding fast. Let me know when you have an idea on delivery time, and how much I owe you.

Thanks

Tyson
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Are you interested in our pinion seal upgrade kit? That's all we've used as replacements for the pinion seals in a while now. Do you plan to replace only the 1 seal in the transfer case? I wouldn't recommend that, what will likely happen is the others will leak in a short while. Today's oils flow better than the old stuff did; synthetic or not, lube will get out rather quickly. The case oil capacity is only 5 pints, I know of 1 guy who knew a leak had developed, yet still tried to drive 25 miles back to home base, his case was utterly destroyed. The smart move is to check all the flange surfaces, install redi-sleeves if needed, and replace all the seals including the shift shaft seals while you are into it. Don't forget to examine the shift shafts closely for rust pits and other damage. A new seal is money wasted unless the shaft or flange surface is perfect.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Post by Tyroma »

Good point...I'll take a seal upgrade kit and seals for all the transfer case shafts (...if the upgarde kit doesn't include them...) I may as well do them all while I have it apart.

My wife says that eventually, the truck will have more new components on it than our daily driver vehicles!

Ty
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Tyroma wrote:Good point...I'll take a seal upgrade kit and seals for all the transfer case shafts (...if the upgarde kit doesn't include them...) I may as well do them all while I have it apart.

My wife says that eventually, the truck will have more new components on it than our daily driver vehicles!

Ty
I'll be in touch with you next week with component cost, you canthen let me know what you would like.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com