Project: Old Guard - lots of pictures

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Re: Project: Old Guard - lots of pictures

Post by itchyoldfart »

Cool Huh? Originally I was goung to do the disk setup. I bought a setup similar to the TSM disk setup and sent it back. I was not happy with it. I believe it is nothing more than a go-cart brake. First off, the pads only engage the disk about 50% because of the small disk and and the pads hitting the yoke flange. Second, building a mounting bracket would have been a PITA. Third, I believe the drum/band setup will have way more clamping power than the small disk/pad setup. Heres the beauty of the NP200 drum brake assembly, the 200 bracket has the same bolt patern as your 205 and WILL bolt on to your NP205. Heres the bummer, You will have to chuck the bracket in a lathe and cut 2 little grooves for the bearing and retainer snapring, and thats it for the bracket. Then, Tom Woods Custom Drivelines (about an hour from here) made me the 32 spline drive flange and the 200 brake drum bolts to it and it is also drilled for a 1350 CV yoke. The drive flange was $125.00 The machineing of the bracket was $85.00 Relining the 200 drum band was $40.00. I'm into it around $250.00 bucks and it beats the hell out of any of the toy disk brake kits out there... That's it....a beefy,stock M37 drum brake on a 205. I have not installed the transfer case yet and will take it apart and post some detail pics...
Last edited by itchyoldfart on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

Master Yota, Heres the link that gave me the idea for the drum brake: http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11887
This will getcha going....
Last edited by itchyoldfart on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

Heres some detail pics of my mods for ya.....
Image NP205 retainer cap and NP200 bracket

Image flange cut to center the NP200 drum
Image drum centered on flange
Image these 2 grooves need to be cut, so......
Image end of bearing and snapring will fit
Image thats it...just add a seal..
Image and put her together
Last edited by itchyoldfart on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Thanks for the pictures Itchy!

I'm going to presume that the two machined grooves where copied from the NP205 retainer - so I can measure those myself, correct? What is the bolt spacing for the 1350CV pattern on your yoke? I have several 1350 CV shafts here, and they all have a 3" square pattern with a 2" pilot lip. Would you know if Tom Woods kept, or made, any drawings of the yoke? It would be nice to just contact them to get one made.

Thats a damn fine setup, and it will be copied!
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

Cool, glad you like it...........Get ready for some good news, Master Yota
YES, the 200 bracket was machined exactly like the 205 retainer..I took the 205 retainer to the machinist and said "copy this".. And YES the bolt spacing is 3"x3", or 4.25" diagonally...and YES, it centers on 2". Your 1350 CV will bolt right on....Unfortunatly Tom Woods does not have any specs on this, however I'm having him build my drivelines and I could take my yoke flange when I go up there and have him copy it..,,I think he even ships free....See....easy as pie...almost.
I'm heading out of town in a few, but will be happy to set it up with Tom next week ,so you will just have to give him a credit card# and shipping address....just let me know
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

PM sent
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

man, that is SLICK!

I'll have to do that in the future as well. Bigger fish to fry right now, hehe. :mrgreen:
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

Josh, Bigger fish to fry....Hmmmm? Yes, I'm watching your build...You have OMG big fish to fry....very cool
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Well, the guys at Tom Woods Drive Shaft (Josh in particular) are great, my custom flanges are in the mail now and soon enough my NP205 will be ready to go under the truck. A big thanks to Itchy for sharing his custom flange design, and taking it down to TW to have it copied for me! I ordered two flanges, both identical, that way if I need a CV joint for the front shaft, I can use the extra flange, or I can hang onto it for the second M37 should I ever decide that it needs to be resto-modded. Or I could just add the M37 park brake to another Np205 in a different project if I need a driveline brake.

Thanks alot Itchy! I'm sure there are many others who are now considering your setup!
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

Thanks Master Yota. I can't claim complete credit for coming up with the drum idea. I found another guy with about the same setup on an...AHEM...M715 site(you know...the other army truck). Mine is just simpler...
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Simple usually means better - I know for a fact its almost always cheaper. I know for a fact that its cheaper than a disc setup, plus I get a spiffy new HD flange too, plus I don't have to build or design mounts for anything which ratchets up the reliability factor alot.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

Master Yota...heres a problem I had, not a biggie tho...I did have to grind about 1/8" off the rear of my np200 brake bracket snout to clear the flange to drum bolts. I ground enough off so the seal sits flush outside.I would suggest that you bolt everything up including drum and flange before you press the seal in. You may have a clearance issue also. If you have seriuos clearance problems with the drum hitting the bracket,..(I was in sheer panic and grief mode by that time) just reverse the brake drum, as it has 2 different offsets on it..and only one way will it line up with the shoes...Cheers
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Thanks Itchy - I'll keep an eye out for that when I re-assemble the unit!
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

Here's a pic
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Itchy, I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, but do you figure the amount of material you removed at the snout would be about equal to the depth of the two grooves you had machined in the backside of the bracket?
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152