Tire mounting suggestions anyone?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

cuz
1SG
1SG

Re: Tire mounting suggestions anyone?

Post by cuz »

AJP's late WWII semi-gloss and Gillespie's 23070 are virtually identical.

The two are the closest match to the original 2430 OD used on M series trucks from 1948 thru 1955 or so. The more brownish 24087 appeared in the field around 1954 and started showing up on factory paint jobs after 54.

These two colors, 2430 and 24087, have produced more arguments than any other federal color codes. They are very close and almost impossible to separate when sanding thru layers of field applied 24087 that went over the original 2430.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

sunsetoutpost2 wrote:Got the tires mounted yesterday, did it myself, very easy. A little air in the inner tube to insert into the tire, then the boot. Used some tire mounting lube on the beads. The split ring went on easy with a 2x4 and 3 lb sledge. I used two 3" ratchet straps around the tire, then inflated. The tire bead does not pop up onto the rim like an tubeless rim, just eases up slowly. First tire took 45 minutes, second only 15.
Think I'll try to do mine on my own too... I think all of the negative stories are more of the oddity for people that don't take the time to do something correctly... or get lazy... I found a guy that would mount my tires for me and they want to charge me 100$ a piece... a little too pricey for myself but that was only one guy that I got a quote from perhaps they just don't want to do them...
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Oddjob wrote:
sunsetoutpost2 wrote:I found a guy that would mount my tires for me and they want to charge me 100$ a piece... a little too pricey for myself but that was only one guy that I got a quote from perhaps they just don't want to do them...
You've hit the money on that thought - they don't want to do them...

If you've the confidence to do the job, they by means make the attemp. There is nothing wrong with failure, professionals exist for a reason. I've always tried to make the attempt at anything at least once.

Good luck!
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Gotta remember these trucks were made for 18 year olds to work on in the field with just basic tools and that had to include tire changes. This thread has some good ideas about containing the ring with either a chain or straps and common sense. 100.00 per tire? wow that's out there.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

Well... in California the DOT does not allow them anymore and I guess they are more of a rarity ... Everything gets outlawed here... :roll:
Seems they always try to stick it to us one way or another...

If other folks can do and it's designed for 18 year olds I think I should be able too...
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

Alot of the fear is of the unknown, plus the rumors and stories of people losing their heads as the result of the old "Split Rim" more than likely wrongly placed upon these types of rims as well. I'll admit I was afraid until Carter d gave me the procedure of how to do it. Once I successfuly changed my own tire, I now do not fear the job and would do it again if I ever need to.

$100 a tire is a blatant freaking ripoff and I would have laughed in that guy's face.
UZIS9MM
PFC
PFC

Post by UZIS9MM »

HOLY COW!!! $100 a tire!! That's highway robbery, tell him to pound sand.

A few years ago while cruising in my M37 I picked up a nail and had to take it to a heavy truck shop because no other tire shop would touch "that style of tire". The old guy who ran the truck shop saw my truck pull in and came over to see what the problem was, when I told him there was a nail in my tire and I would like it fixed he got a big grin on his face. He said "time me, and if I take longer than 30 minutes it's on the house." He had the tire off and pulled apart in a matter of minutes, patched the tube, inspected and reassembled the tire. He set the ring, stood on it while it was inflating, and then remounted it on the truck and didn't break the 25 minute mark.
I asked if it was always that easy and he told me that he had developed his skill while in the Army as a Motor T mechanic. He said it was pleasure to work on one again, charged me $20 and told me to come back again if I ever had another tire issue. Later that summer I bought a new spare and he mounted that for me and again only charged me $20 but he didn't have me time him that time.
Unfortunately all good things must come to an end, he retired and sold the shop. They still do truck tires but it's all young kids that work there now and I doubt that they would know the first thing about a split ring rim. :(

Kevin
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

I think you guys are being hard on the guy for saying $100 a tire. Its not a job that most shops are doing day in and day out. He had to weigh the risk involved with doing the job. If he had damaged the tire, rim, flap, or tube in the process would you not expect him to pay for that. Also, while unlikely, what if he or one of his employees were injured? The way I see it what he was trying to say with his price is I really don't want to do it, but if you're really in a bind I'll do it for $100. In my line of work I'm often consulted by my boss before we bid a job, and we never refuse to give a price. Some times we just have to "aim high" some times really really high. To stay in business you have to weigh the risks vs. reward. And I don't feel its a rip off if they agree to the price.

Brett

BTW I'd politely refuse his offer of $100 per tire in about 1/10 sec. Its just not that hard to do yourself
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Working with tires can be a dangerous and costly business no matter the rim design. There is an equal amount of danger with regular rims as well. I've seen a few tire techs that are missing finger tips from normal wheels popping up on the bead unexpectedly, and alot of them are partly deaf from overpressurizing the tires and blowing them off the wheel. I don't really see an argument for "risk vs. reward" inregards to working with tires of any sort. Its a heavy, portable pressure vessel that can bite your ass the moment you're not paying any attention.

My dumptruck has lock ring rims on it, and they don't balk at doing those tires, I don't see why anyone should have to pay upwards of 4 times more to service an M37 wheel. Its unprofessional. A tire shop is supposed to offer a professional service (that is why they are in business). Any good business has the right to refuse service, and I'd rather be told no, than to be insulted with a ignorant price. I have no issue with taking my business elsewhere if the company dosen't feel comfortable with the job at hand. And if they do take on the job, and damage something, its only good business practice to own up and pay for it. If its legitimate damage that is. That is part of customer service - which is severely lacking in most business's in the world today...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

Brett wrote:I think you guys are being hard on the guy for saying $100 a tire. Its not a job that most shops are doing day in and day out. He had to weigh the risk involved with doing the job. If he had damaged the tire, rim, flap, or tube in the process would you not expect him to pay for that. Also, while unlikely, what if he or one of his employees were injured? The way I see it what he was trying to say with his price is I really don't want to do it, but if you're really in a bind I'll do it for $100. In my line of work I'm often consulted by my boss before we bid a job, and we never refuse to give a price. Some times we just have to "aim high" some times really really high. To stay in business you have to weigh the risks vs. reward. And I don't feel its a rip off if they agree to the price.
If it was so dangerous that it justified him in charging $100 per tire then I wouldn't want him working on my truck! Put simply, if it's that dangerous then he obviously doing something wrong! Keep in mind that MILLIONS of these wheel/tires were mounted and used for many years before they were replaced with newer designs so that can't be THAT dangerous if done properly.

My $.02 worth.