Passenger Seat

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Joe
CPL
CPL

Passenger Seat

Post by Joe »

So, I took the seats out of my M-37 today to replace their covers. Nothing unusual about the drivers seat but the passenger seat cover was stapled on w/ 3/8"w x 5/16"d staples! Absolutely no sign that it was ever tied on. Got them out and found a 1" thick heavy foam pad and under that I found the complete original vinyl seat cover! Under that I found a very old canvas cover and it still had the original padding inside it! It's pretty well flattened out in most spots. It looks like some one used a gallon of cement on it. I'm going to have to chisel it off!

So here's my questions, what kind of padding should I use for this and how thick? Is there any reason why I shouldn't staple the new cover on? If I do decide to tie it on, does anyone know about how long the rope needs to be?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Passenger Seat

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Joe wrote:So, I took the seats out of my M-37 today to replace their covers. Nothing unusual about the drivers seat but the passenger seat cover was stapled on w/ 3/8"w x 5/16"d staples! Absolutely no sign that it was ever tied on. Got them out and found a 1" thick heavy foam pad and under that I found the complete original vinyl seat cover! Under that I found a very old canvas cover and it still had the original padding inside it! It's pretty well flattened out in most spots. It looks like some one used a gallon of cement on it. I'm going to have to chisel it off!

So here's my questions, what kind of padding should I use for this and how thick? Is there any reason why I shouldn't staple the new cover on? If I do decide to tie it on, does anyone know about how long the rope needs to be?
The vast majority of our customers like a firm foam with either canvas or marine type vinyl covering. Most choose the firm foam in the driver's seat bottom cushion as well.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

If you are going to use canvas covers - wait until you have them before you head off the foam shop to make sure you get the correct thickness. You should use high density seat foam which holds up like a NY cab! The drivers seat bottom is 5" thick which we used a 4" and glued 1". Over the foam you'll need to wrap with batting which helps fill the gaps and allows the canvas to slide over the foam. The other 4 cushions are 4".
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

Thanks K. That's what I wanted to know.