Nice work Itchy! We've even duplicated the rad support!.... :roll:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

Thanks...How are you coming on the steering box installation? That's a tricky one...gonna be tough to mount your left fender... I tried a Chevy box like you have, but decided to go with a 78-79 Ford bronco box. The Bronco box has the forward pitman arm, but I will still have to trim the crossmember like you did.. I'll post some pics...
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

itchyoldfart wrote:Thanks...How are you coming on the steering box installation? That's a tricky one...gonna be tough to mount your left fender... I tried a Chevy box like you have, but decided to go with a 78-79 Ford bronco box. The Bronco box has the forward pitman arm, but I will still have to trim the crossmember like you did.. I'll post some pics...
The 428 sits high in the frame rails so I ended up putting a 3" body lift in to get exhaust clearance on the passenger side. The extra lift should give me enough room to mount the left fender with minimal clearancing needed around the steering box. The bottom fender bolt on the rad support is about 1/2" above the main body of the steering box - so only some minor triming should be needed to clearance the hoses and such... I'll need to cut the inner fender though for the steering shaft from the coloum to the box.

I think my steering box is from an F250 of 70's vintage. I wanted the F150 or Bronco box, as its the holy grail of steering boxes, but I didnt' want to pay the price at the wrecker for it - $600 bucks was just a little too far out there for me... I had this box already, and it fits well. I could use a pitman arm with less drop however, but for now, it works.

Finished the mounting of the radiator and built a new shroud for the fan. Also mounted the new high volume/high pressure power steering pump as well. New progress pics should be up this weekend.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

More pics - less words.... :smt023

Brake booster mounted - clears Valve cover nicely...

Wilwood Clutch MC just clears the brake booster..

But dosen't clear the hood support... :smt012

had to modify the pedal to work with the Wilwood MC - no biggie....

Pedals are in permanently - they have a good height, and good travel...

Built the steering shaft between the coloum and the box - needed a custom piece to mate the coloum to the Ujoint. The joint is a 1" pto unit from Princess Auto - the shafting is standard "D" shaped colapsable steering shaft. The custom piece is "hand milled" from 1" PTO shaft...

Decided to mock up the rad before I sent it out to be repaired. It fits almost perfectly - just some tweaking of the mount is all thats needed...
Need to build a spacer about as thick as my finger to mount the rad to the front of the support. The stock rad was mounted to the rear of the support. The tube face is the same distance from the fan as the stock rad would have been.

Made some templates to mount the Power steering pump.
Had to make two - one for the front and rear of the pump
Pump mounted - lots of room behind the fan...
BLING!! - The pump puts out 1750psi and over 4 GPM!

Newly repaired rad is installed and fitting nicely...

Had to build a shroud - used the stock shroud by turning it 90* and shortening it up a bit. Then filled in the gaps and viola!

I also managed to get both shock mounts installed on the front - they are F250 units...

More to come!
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

NICE WORK! You are moving along and picking up speed!

What radiator is that out of, it fits perfect! I'd like to scrounge the local boneyards for one before I go and drop $350 on the aftermarket one I was going to use...
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Josh wrote:NICE WORK! You are moving along and picking up speed!

What radiator is that out of, it fits perfect! I'd like to scrounge the local boneyards for one before I go and drop $350 on the aftermarket one I was going to use...
Its a chrysler rad - used in cars and trucks of the mid 70's - 80's. It was the most common rad that Chrysler ever used. It can be found in front of everything from the 318 to the 440. I think this one is from a half ton truck. Most older V8 cars should have the same rad as well... I had it recored a few years ago (cost about 200 bucks) from a standard 2 row to a 3 row high density. It has more tubes than a standard 4 core rad, but with only 3 rows the air passes through it faster (thus in theory cooling better).
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

Looking good master yota....Damn, you are ambitious...I'm dead in the water on my M project...waiting for parts....
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

itchyoldfart wrote:...waiting for parts....
Been down that road too. I try to plan out my work about a month in advance or so (nothing concrete just an idea of where I want to be by then). That way I have time to surf and shop the parts bin and get it here before I'm really in a crunch for parts...

Plus having had 2 years or so to gather my parts together dosen't hurt either. Staring at a pile of new parts sitting in a corner though, is no picknic either... :roll:

In related news, I decided to replace a blown exhaust manifold gasket today and prompty broke 3 of the eight bolts off in the head. Two came out really nicely - the last one took 4 hours of cursing and an eventuall blast from the plasma cutter. Tapped some fresh holes and it should be ready to rock'n'roll tomorrow... (further work on the truck that is - not startup.... :? 8) )
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Master Yota
My question is when are you going to start working on this thing? Or should I ask how do you have time for anything else, Day job, family, kicken the dog, chasen the neibors wife. You got nuttn but a whole lota work in front of you, it’s all looking great, and I admire you, but wow!!!! it's going to be a beast.
keep up the good work.
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

The whole trick is to make time - the wife will forgive me someday....

My only hobby is Wrenchin' and wheelin' - so I don't have much for other time distractions. The wife is on maternity leave right now so she handles the house for the most part, and I'm in the wind waiting for the economy to pick up. That leaves me alot of time with little to do but work on the truck. Although now that spring is here, I've got a fence and a sundeck to build, so my lack of distraction may have just come to an end...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Project: Old Guard - lots of pictures

Post by Master Yota »

So I was fartin' around with my divorced NP205 this afternoon to try figure out what yokes fit what driveshafts I have laying around and whatnot, and discovered that my swapmeet 205 was a real score. Turns out that the 1968 IH truck that it came out of had the desireable 32 spline shafts in it! Sweet!
All the shafts, input and output, are all 32 spline, but they have the 1310 ujoint yokes, which is surprising. Looks like I'll need to find some 1350 32 spline yokes from a Ford 205 to facilitate my bullet proof driveline...
That shouldn't be too hard though...I hope...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
itchyoldfart
PVT
PVT

Post by itchyoldfart »

Hey Master Yota..long time ..no post. You shouldnt have any trouble finding the 1350 yokes..Check this out, I am building my M with a divorced NP205 w/1350 yokes. You may want some info on my Np205 drum brake conversion if you are planning an E-brake. let me know... Image
Last edited by itchyoldfart on Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

OOHHHHHHH! I like it.

Tell me more! I was thinking of ordering a Disc setup from TSM - but if I can reuse some of my parts from the NP200 ebrake then all the better! Saves me some coin on those expensive yokes and stuff...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152