Axel question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

T.R.
PVT
PVT

Axel question

Post by T.R. »

I am going to change the gear oil in the front and rear axel and I would like to know if the drain plug gasket needs to be replaced, what size, type, and where can I get them.
Thanks for any and all help.
T.R.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

There is no gasket. The drain plugs are pipe threads. Maybe a little pipe dope on the threads is all you need.
Tim
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Axel = A figure-skating maneuver in which the skater jumps up into the air and turns around 360 degrees before alighting.

Axle = A piece of metal which joins two wheels in a parallel configuration.

Got it? :twisted:
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

AXEL

Post by 8543bob »

YOU ARE A PISSER,
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Lifer,
How about "Bumber" and "Wench"?
Two common ones that come to mind!
Tim
T.R.
PVT
PVT

Post by T.R. »

Tim, TM 9-8030 page 325 paragraph 207.c., reads Drain Plug. The drain plug is a special plug. A 7/8" annular gasket is used with the drain plug. Check the plug and gasket each time the axle is serviced, and replace if necessary. My truck is 57 years old maybe it should be replaced?

Lifer, thanks for the spelling correction, I'll try to remember that next time. :roll:
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

The plug is not pipe threads at all, but a special type as you have learned. The gasket is copper, they last a long time generally speaking, but will become compressed to the point of destruction over time. We usually make replacements as needed for ours. I agree it is a good idea to also use a high temp thread sealant, the type used for hydraulic fittings works great.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Re: AXEL

Post by Lifer »

8543bob wrote:YOU ARE A PISSER,
Yeah....I know. The devil made me do it! :?
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

powerwagontim wrote:Hi Lifer,
How about "Bumber" and "Wench"?
Two common ones that come to mind!
Tim
I've never encountered "bumber" yet. Seen lots of "wenches," though.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

Do you know the TPI and pitch offhand if it's a non-standard one?
J.B.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Sorry about that

Post by powerwagontim »

TR,
My apologies! More of my experience is on Power Wagons than M37s, although I am picking up the M37 dialect too! The Power Wagons share many of the same components as the M37s, including the differentials. and brake parts. The axle shafts are different, as are the tubes. And, as i know now, the drain plugs! The Power Wagon drains are a 1/2" pipe plug. I made an assumption, and we ALL know what that means!
Again, sorry for disseminating wrong information, and thanks to Charles for correcting it.
Tim
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Sorry about that

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

powerwagontim wrote:TR,
My apologies! More of my experience is on Power Wagons than M37s, although I am picking up the M37 dialect too! The Power Wagons share many of the same components as the M37s, including the differentials. and brake parts. The axle shafts are different, as are the tubes. And, as i know now, the drain plugs! The Power Wagon drains are a 1/2" pipe plug. I made an assumption, and we ALL know what that means!
Again, sorry for disseminating wrong information, and thanks to Charles for correcting it.
Tim
I figured you were speaking based on a PW housing, although I've never seen a PW that had a 1/2" NPT plug in the diff housing. All that have been through here have had 1/8" NPT plugs, we have enlarged and tapped a few to 1/4" NPT, as the 1/8" hole is very small.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com