G 741 copy of David Ahls book

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

G 741 copy of David Ahls book

Post by Gerry »

I am done with thw G-741 copy and will pass it on to the next person who wants to read it.
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37
98taco3
CPL
CPL

Post by 98taco3 »

I cant believe how much that book goes for used! There was a guy on amazon that priced a copy at $1000 dollars 2 days ago!
m37_power
CPL
CPL

Post by m37_power »

I'm very interested in reading it.
1952 Dodge M37
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

I'd like to read it after M37_power
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

m37 power
pm your address and Ill put it in the mail
Gerry

53 M37
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

98taco3 wrote:I cant believe how much that book goes for used! There was a guy on amazon that priced a copy at $1000 dollars 2 days ago!
I can't believe anyone would waste their time reading it, much less pay anything for it. Maybe I should say after you have read it, you will likely realize quickly it was a total waste of time as far as the knowledge gleaned for restoring an M37. My opinion is this has got to be the most over rated near nothing book I've ever seen, it's title surely does not fit. It should be something like the Adventures of David Ahl. Most of the stuff in it will not take you to a successful restoration at all, maybe a bare bones patch up until I can find a sucker with $$$ overhaul would fit better. After all, that is exactly what he did with it in the end.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

I agree with Charles on this one. I thought the book was a quick fun read,but as for "how too" and "restoration"....I don't think so. I sold my copy after reading it once,and didn't use it for reference material at all. I think one would be better off just purchasing various manuals for the truck,and reading them from cover to cover to gain knowledge about the "M". This is what I did BEFORE I even purchased my truck. Just my opinion. In defence of the book....at least somebody stepped up to the plate and wrote/published a book about the "M-37",reguardless of it not being that good.
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

I remember meeting Mr Ahl many yrs. back at the east coast rally shortly after he had gotten his M-37 he didnt know anything about it or any MV really. He fixed it up marginally(to him it was restored) like Mr Talbert remarked. He really wasnt qualified to write a definitive book on the subject, but I think he was in the publishing business and recognized the lack of any publications on m37's and took advantage of that opp. to sell his book. I cant imagine any such book selling for $1000., if they are I have some nice ones I'll sell for half that!
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

I sold the one I had for $185,but that was years ago.
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

I agree its not a resto guide but something I used to kill time while sitting in the reading room. :D
Gerry

53 M37
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

gwalker wrote:I remember meeting Mr Ahl many yrs. back at the east coast rally shortly after he had gotten his M-37 he didnt know anything about it or any MV really. He fixed it up marginally(to him it was restored) like Mr Talbert remarked. He really wasnt qualified to write a definitive book on the subject, but I think he was in the publishing business and recognized the lack of any publications on m37's and took advantage of that opp. to sell his book. I cant imagine any such book selling for $1000., if they are I have some nice ones I'll sell for half that!
If Mr Ahl was in the publishing business, maybe that explains this obsurd mess I've scratched my head about so many times. It's the only explanation I've ever heard that really holds water. He didn't view it as a job well done, but a way to make a few bucks off folks who honestly don't know any better.

It has been mentioned to me to do a guide a number of times. I really would love to do one, however it boils down to this. There is simply not enough hours in the day to run a rebuild/restoration shop and have the extra time to devote to a writting project such as this. I have no idea how profitable it would be, likely nothing fantastic. For me it would be a labor of love, it would take hundreds of hours to really do it justice. If I couldn't approach it that way, I'm not interested. I would want to share all I've learned over the years in how to do it right the first time. So for now, time simply will not permit me obligating myself to such a huge undertaking. Maybe someday if the good Lord is willing.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
GERALDO
PFC
PFC

m-37 resto book

Post by GERALDO »

I really enjoyed my book, especially when I sold it and make a $90.OO profit on it !! would like to have several more !
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

This website and community trumps any book. An enterprising person could put together a guide for M37 restoration with all of the thousands of posts here.

I have considered doing that myself but I'd need to start another truck and take far more photographs than I already have. I have another truck so maybe when I get to it we can all cooperate on something.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
jjefferson
CPL
CPL

Post by jjefferson »

I would agree with all of the above. The only parts that I found useful were the carb and governor rebuild chapters.

Scored a free copy the other day and promptly put it on ebay - went for 125.00 over the pond to Europe.

All that having been said I can send along digital copies of the carb and governor section if anyone needs them.

Jim
m37_power
CPL
CPL

Post by m37_power »

Im just curious to read through it. Im already half way through fixing up my m37, but its always interesting to me to read others opinion, problems they faced...etc.
1952 Dodge M37