Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carmen
PFC
PFC

Post by Carmen »

Ok. I have had my M37 for ten years now and it is restored as stock. 24Volt system and all. I have never really had any trouble with it until last year, when I replaced for the first time in all that time a new set of points. Well since then I had to replace them 2 more more times, making a total of 3 times in less than 12 months.

What's going on in my system. I know I can upgrade the system to electric, and I am leaning that way. But first I want to know why I have had to replace the points in my distributor 3 times???????

Is there such a thing as a better made points for our trucks, since the first set lasted almost ten years. I bought the replacements from NAPA.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Carmen
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Did you install a new condenser when you replaced the points? The function of the condenser is to prevent excess arcing at the breaker points, correct condenser capacity is necessary to insure good performance and to protect the life of the points. They can be checked but it's easier and quicker just to replace them when new points are installed
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Carmen
PFC
PFC

Post by Carmen »

Sorry I should have stated that before, Yes I did replace that to. I just can't understand why i am having this trouble, something else is going on. When I rebuilt my truck I replaced everything, wiring, fuel line well you get the idea.

Carmen
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

I'd bet there isn't anything "going on" with your system.The points you probably replaced the old ones with are probably now being made offshore and are more than likely nowhere near the quality of the original set you replaced. I'd say that's probably what's "going on"..
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

You haven't told us what specifically has happened to your points. Like are the burning, pitting, breaking arms, rapid wearing rubbing tips etc?

Did you replace the condenser every time you replaced the points? If you did then the more likely culprit is a bad cheap condenser. If you still have the original condenser try using it again. Make sure the new points you are using are clean. Preservatives and oil on the contact surfaces can burn them up quickly. And of course try to get US made parts.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.