fuel tank pickup

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

98taco3
CPL
CPL

fuel tank pickup

Post by 98taco3 »

Does anyone have a picture of the fuel pickup out of the stock tank? I got my tank dropped and pulled the pickup out and got a nasty surprise. It is NASTY, rust caked up 1/2 thick! No holes in it, just varnish and other junk. I need to see a picture of the pickup to see if mine is intact. The "filter" was on the bottom of the tank. also, anyone got a sending unit laying around? Are they rebuildable?
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

AB Linn has them. He also puts them on ebay all the time
Gerry

53 M37
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

You can make one just solder in a flare fitting and run a tube to the bottom of the tank. Solder some fine brass screen on to keep out the big stuff. I used my old cover for a pattern. On mine there is a bolt pattern. with a six and 12 o'clock. I didn't want the vent line so didn't solder a fitting on for it. Been working for a couple of years. I also put an in line filter just after the tank . If your plate is good and you can clean out the original brass flare use it. Just make a new pick up tube.

1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
98taco3
CPL
CPL

Post by 98taco3 »

awesome, that is what i was wondering. It seems that part of it is actually missing. Amazing theres no holes in the tank considering how much rust and varnish there is in there! Thanks guys!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

All that rust and varnish may be hiding a zillion pin-holes. If you clean it out, you'll probably find them. :(
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

blank
Last edited by M-Thrax on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

that is one of the cleanest looking pump/filter setups I have seen!
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

The orignal fuel sending units can be rebuilt, but its pretty expensive, search Hemmings for gauge rebuilding services. The ones you get now are all reproduction and not of the orignal design, just a universal type replacement.
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710