interesting find?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

interesting find?

Post by Montanaorbust »

Found this box, in an, well thats not important.. But it looks military.. heavy real heavy.. with heavy objects in it.. Couldnt get in it with tire irons or pry bars.. You think, a keysmith could make one for me?? What is it? What might be in it? Age? I tried to look up the numbers on it, no luck.. Figured this was the right place to see what it is..
GERALDO
PFC
PFC

safe

Post by GERALDO »

I think you have an old railway money box used to transport money on the rails.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

It sure looks like one! They were designed to be extremely heavy in an attempt to deter train robbers. The attempt was not entirely successful! ;)

The color of the box and its markings make me think it could be an Air Force payroll cash box from the old days when we had to report to the Paymaster and receive our pay in cash.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

Railway Express Agency was a precursor to UPS when Railroads handled most small shipments. REA had trucks which would distribute out of local "Express" buildings usually near your local train station. REA died out when trucking took over the bulk of the local delivery business in the 1960`s.

The box was probably used to transport cash and or other small high value items which were shipped via REA. It most likely spent most of it`s life riding around in REA railroad cars.

Seems similar to the Wells Fargo strong boxes that have seemed to surface in great numbers lately

Nice, unusual railroadiana find.
Rusty S.
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

PS: A locksmith should be able to open it. Let us know what you find in it. The suspense is unbearable....
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Montana, if you have some time, a grinder, and a few hacksaw blades, you can make these:

I recommend making the one on the bottom, it is most useful.

Get a VERY small screwdriver stick it in the edge of the key slot, and twist it lightly to put a little side pressure on the pins. then, stick the rake in and just rake back and forth, you'll feel when you get one popped up. the side pressure will hold it up, then move on to the next. I recommend starting at the back of the lock and moving forwards, you're less likely to knock loose the ones you've popped up. this is the same thing a locksmith is going to do, and will be much cheaper; not to mention, its a thrill to pick a lock James Bond style! :wink:

I've picked my house door, as well as a neighbors door this way (we both locked ourselves out).
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

oh, and you have to use hacksaw blades, as they are tempered,and remain "springy" so long as you dont get them too hot grinding them. dont get too sharp a point on the zig zag either, or it will get caught in the lock, you want just a little radius on it.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Rusty: You're absolutely right. It is a Railway Express box.

Josh: You seem to have an "unusual" skill for a mechanic! ;) I don't know about where you live, but in Illinois simple possession of the tools described is a misdemeanor. Using them is a felony. They're called "burglary tools" and you're fined heavily for having them in your posession. Use them and you go to jail in addition to the "possession" penalty. You must be a State certified locksmith in order to own and use them.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

I do not see a lock to pick with your Oklamhoma credit card, LOL
Would it be as simple as to twist the ring and hex bolt on top of the box ???
Would it be threaded on the other end.
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Post by Montanaorbust »

The ring and hex will turn about a quarter inch in either direction, before it stops dead.. There is a mechanism, that keeps the lid closed every couple of inches. (i Found out, when trying to pry). Josh thanks for the idea, but i couldnt pick a fart apart. Its a great box, i think i will take it to a locksmith, see if they can make me a key. But i really may not want anyone to see whats in it. I'm excited to find out.. I hope its a new winch for the 37. Jk..
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

It's probably a payroll box simulator and therefore full of rocks.

:shock:
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

It would be nice if it was full of mint, uncirculated Eisenhower silver dollars! :twisted:
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Post by Montanaorbust »

10-4..Roger that, Lifer... I could buy a winch with that, hell i'd buy you one too. Got a man coming to pick it thursday. He can't make a key, but he can pick it for 20 bucks. I called the local lock/smithy co. said i'd have to leave her over night. I'm sure the (what we know now for defent, is a early, 1900's railway express agency, strong box) has nothing of great worth in it, and I would like to trust the local shop. But, there is always a chance that Lifers gold double eagles are in there. but, ive learnt the rail co. would often put the chains that went around the box and the locks that locked the chains, in the box, when they werent using them. Now that it was brought to my attention, thats what id do withem, and thats what is sounds like to. but we will see.. The only reason I found the box my hands, was because i thought i might be able to use it somehow on the m37. Looked good in the bed.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

The one thing I know for sure about that box is, there aint NO WAY my wife would let me put it on a white carpet!
Tim
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Nice Box

Post by m-37Bruce »

powerwagontim wrote:The one thing I know for sure about that box is, there aint NO WAY my wife would let me put it on a white carpet!
Tim
Yikes that is white carpet!
:lol:
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA