M715 What's your opinion?

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

poor rich
CPL
CPL

M715 What's your opinion?

Post by poor rich »

Last evening my neighbor "borrowed" me from my wife and dragged me to the other side of the county to show me an 1967 m715 he saw for sale and thought I might like.
I know even less about these than I did my m37 when I bought it.
Its still 24 volt and looks to be in fairly good shape except when I opened the drivers side door I could see the ground through the back corner of the cab, and it's on oversized 9.00-20 NDTs.
It looks to be complete, it still has the original cargo cover (torn last year), new cargo end curtains, the snorkel is there but not hooked to the filter housing, arctic cab cover, he even has a dummy m16 for the rifle bracket.
Asking $5500, would accept $4800, but what is a good price?
Is there a web sight like here?
are parts easy to find?
Rich
My wife loves to cook, bakes fresh cookies for my lunch every week, and now she wants a 15" Mortar.... life is good!
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Check about for average prices on the local sites, check for the usual things, runs well, drives ok etc. but the bottom line is, if you like it, and want it, buy it!!

Regards - MM :-)
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I don't know if there's a forum dedicated to the M715, but there is a small segment devoted to it on Steel Soldiers. The folks there are just as knowledgeable as are the guys on this forum, and you'll find that several of us "haunt" both forums.

Speaking from a strictly personal point of view, I think the M715 is one of the ugliest trucks ever built, but I'm sure others feel the same way about the M37.

What it boils down to is this - if you like it, want it, and can afford to buy/restore it, then go right ahead. It will be "different" and you will get lots of admiring looks while driving it. Not a bad thing, ya know? :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

The M715 Zone is the forum you are looking for.
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

If you like it, buy it. I have heard some owners say that parts availability is an issue in some cases though.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

If possible check out the engine and listen to it run, the timing chains seemed to stretch and the chains tensioning idler blocks wear making the chain loose and the engine noisy and sometimes to go out of time where the thing wouldn't run at all. I have heard some that were as noisy as shaking a bucket of bolts.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I know VPW now carries M715 parts. There should also be some parts available in the civilian sector. I enjoy seeing ANY military vehicle saved from the scrapyard, so I'd say go for it if you considering saving another one.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

It's nowhere near the truck that an M37 is. The original engine is actually a Continental, not a Jeep Tornado that many think it is. It is an extremely trouble prone engine, many parts are extinct. You can't even buy a gasket set for it except a high $$$ custom cut kit. We've built a few, installed Cummins, etc. For me, I wouldn't want one. I wouldn't recommend buying it for many reasons, your call though.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

We had two of these as contact trucks in my unit at Ft. Ord (along with the M201 I've mentioned previously). I recall they spent a lot of time on the road and not much in the shop, but can't comment further, other to say that a recent article in Supply Line or Army Motors had the M715 story in it that might help you decide.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

But it is a Jeep,and for a Jeep person that's all that matters. I like mine, I have a M 37 and a M715. Parts are a little hard to find,but a little challenge is good for the soul now and then.

DJ
poor rich
CPL
CPL

Thank you

Post by poor rich »

Well, I decided not to buy it, I'd rather invest in another m37 instead, if for no other reason than I already have some parts and smarts for the m37.

The cost of another truck would have been a little steep when you include the long arm quilting machine I'd have to buy for the wife, not to mention the addition onto our little house to put it in.
Love is grand... many many grand.

if anyone is interested let me know and I'll give you the phone # .

Rich
My wife loves to cook, bakes fresh cookies for my lunch every week, and now she wants a 15" Mortar.... life is good!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

i've got a 715 I'll take $2,500 for, with some parts to go with it also. The cab floor isn't rusted out and it's a decent truck. been sitting for a while, was a good runner and a little TLC will bring it back to life.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Rich, just saw that you're frm Port Washington... Sheboygan here... Helo from "up north"!!!
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

As an owner of both an m-37 and a m-715, I want to make a few statments of fact. I like both trucks, but they are quite different in many aspects, the 715 was designed an built 17 yrs later than the m-37, it was designed heavier w/ a 5/4 ton rating. These m series trucks do IN FACT use the Kaiser Jeep Tornado 6 engine (which is even an overhead cam design). They had only a single contract w/ only about 30,000 total trucks built between mid 67 finishing early 69, like the m-37's the family consisted of the 715 cargo, the 725 ambulance, the 724 telephone maint ver., an the 726 cab chassis(usually contact maint bodies), m-37 an m715 shared the same transfer case-np200, and the standard military electrical systems/components. I have read so many articles an heard so many people make disparaging statements about the 715's, most from persons w/o any direct use or knowledge of them, just passing the same hearsay along over an over. They are perfectly good trucks, actually being a fair bit more powerful than a m-37, but harder ride due to the heavier suspension. In 15 yrs I have put 20,000 miles on mine w an orignal drivetrain, once after a late start from the mvpa national in Memphis Tenn back in 01 I had to drive non stop from Nashville Tenn to DC to get home on time, at 55 the whole way it performed great. This truck only broke down on me once ever, when the orignal water pump failed on my way home to Delaware from the mvpa national at Ft Lee in Va. With such low production there was a similar low quantity of spare parts an alot are gone now, but most mechanicals are still around, Last winter my truck developed a bad headgasket an I readily obtained a mil nos complete gskt set for like $80. SO dont beleive the hype these are good trucks- If you are ever interested, but one, they are usually lower priced than alot of m-37's due to there underserved reputation.
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

I would agree,and add one thing,after takng the M37 out for a drive yesterday and banging my elbow on the door,the M715 has MORE room in ths cab!

DJ