Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

oldstuff
PVT
PVT

paint source

Post by oldstuff »

Hi all
I'm about ready to start sandblasting my 1963, M37 and was hoping to find a paint code for 1960s OD green. No mil spec stuff. I would like to use urethane and need a code for normal automotive paint, Ditzler, PPG,Dow, etc. I checked with my local (PPG) auto parts store and they could not find it. (not really paint experts)
The only parts that I have that still have any sign of original color are the front inner fenders. Due to undercoating on one side, possible engine oil on the other and engine heat, I'm not sure of the accuracy of the color for matching.
OR. does anyone have a good color chip that I could get and have my local store match?
Thanks
Ray
M37 Body onto 90 Dodge 4x4 3/4 ton w/Cummins, in progress.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

What I Done

Post by m-37Bruce »

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Might not be exactly what your looking for, but w/o a chip?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

If you have an automotive paint supplier in your town or a nearby town that supplies to repair shops etc. then they should be able to take the FSN color number and get the formula to mix up the paint you want. The FSN number is 24087. They should be able to look that number up and get the mix formula. It may take effort on their part to call PPG, but it's there and can be done.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Lots Of Choices

Post by m-37Bruce »

Are you going to do the work yourself, if so why not just purchase the Gilespie Coatings from Rapco?
They should be able to, match anything, heck the guys at Home Depot will match it for you.
I'm not even going to mention the "A" paint, which most folks here have never been satisfied with!

Another avenue might be "The Long Olive Drab Line" paint from Paulo Batesti (sp) it's an older color, but it's your truck.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
oldstuff
PVT
PVT

Post by oldstuff »

As for getting the paint from Gillespy / Rapco. At $75 a gallon plus haz-mat shipping it gets pretty expensive. Plus, I don't really know how much I'll need. If I need another quart or two I just go into town and get it, instead of the shipping cost and hassle.
I'll try the FSN number at the local auto parts stores first. One of them should be able to cross it. I'd like to use Urethane, it's pretty tuff stuff, Just partial to it I guess. I've painted several vehicles with it.
Thanks to all
Ray
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

John Bizal at MWM is in Prior Lake, MN. He has a paint source for sure. Give him a ring. I went way past most and sprayed PPG acrylic enamel... matched to the Gillespsi rattle can.
oldstuff
PVT
PVT

Post by oldstuff »

I'll be going to Bizal's in a week or so. He's only about 60 miles from me. I need a door guide. Not the latch strike plate, the other one. Plus all of the door and windshield seals.
Matching the rattlecan sounds like a good approach if a can't find a parts store that can find the color.
Thanks for the tip
Ray
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Ray - we bought a 12 pack of rattle cans for the small brackets, bolts, nuts, etc. that we spray while we worked on the heavy stuff. We only used them on interior pieces thou. Like we sprayed the instrument plate, the gauges, and built up the panel indoors but wanted it to match the body, so we did a spray out card at the local PPG automotive paint store and they matched the automotive finish to it. Caution - there was a significant difference from the FSN 24087 formula and the rattle can so be sure you know what you want.
Rich
CPL
CPL

Post by Rich »

Old Stuff,
You can try TM9 Ordnance Paint Products( www.tm9ordnance.com). I have used it on my m37, it is a match to the paint samples in the door cover and under the windshield, My truck is a 1951. I have only used it to paint my winshield frames so far. It is compatable with PPG Epoxy primer.
Rich Szklany
oldstuff
PVT
PVT

Post by oldstuff »

I went to MWM today and got the paint from John. It's two part urethane semi gloss which was my first choice of paint type. I also got all of the weatherstip parts that I need.
He had a weasle there! Of course I'd love to have one. But he wants $7000 for it. I had seen them mentioned on MV web sites but didn't know what they were. It's WW2 version of a miniature Armored personel carrier.
Many people on MV circles seem to take for granted that everyone Knows what all the various vehicles are. I'm certanly no pro!
Thanks all, for the advice.
Ray