Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

318 timing

Post by bubba_got_you »

318 timing
What should the timing on my 318 be? Can’t seem to find a chart or any info
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
oldstuff
PVT
PVT

Post by oldstuff »

318s are usually 3 to 5 deg. before TDC.
M37 Body onto 90 Dodge 4x4 3/4 ton w/Cummins, in progress.
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Different ignition modules will cause it to be different. My chrome Mopar Electronic is 35 degrees BTDC
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Are you sure about that, Will? Thirty-five degrees before TDC seems like an awful lot to me! I'm surprised that it fires at all with that much advance! :o
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

I had problems setting up my timing due to a marked harmonic balancer making it impossible to read the notches, the simplest and most reliable method I have ever used is peaking the efficiency with a vacuum guage, simply slip it on where you have disconnected the vacuum advance from the distributor. I also cut a slot and made a cover in the rear cover on my firewall so I could loosen and tighten the distributor clamp without climbing over the engine with a custom bent spanner to get to the damn bolt...
There are some great articles on the net regarding peaking and tuning an engine with a vacuum guage, if you have multiple carburettors then I have found in my experience it is the best way to balance and check the tracking of these setups, a single Holley or Carter however is pretty simple to peak and it makes setting optimum timing a cinch.

Regards - MM :-)
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Lifer,

Yes, 35 Deg BTDC. I used my first Mopar Orange Box and Accell Super Coil back in 79/80 and was setting it at 8 Deg, and could not get the car to run. It would start but don't give it any throttle. After consulting the "Mopar Bible" in those days, I figured out I had to advance the timing to 35 Deg. Well, you couldn't get enough rotation out of the distributor with out the vacuum advance hitting the firewall, so I ended up moving the plu wires one hole,and once I hit the 35-40 Deg area she ran like a scalded ape.

On the M I used the Chrome Module and the instructions sate as below:

Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Well, I guess ya learn something every day...even when yer an old fart like me! :) That's a good thing, of course, and beats the heck out of the alternative!
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"