ignition modules M37

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m15256
CPL
CPL

ignition modules M37

Post by m15256 »

Are the electronic ignition modules really worth the price? The available points and condensers aren't all that great, but then they aren't very expensive either. How many of you have switched to electronic, do you get a better spark, or just less maintenance? thanks for any info Rick
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
Longhunter7
PFC
PFC

Electronic Ignition

Post by Longhunter7 »

m15256,

Yes, the ignition module is well worth installing! I got mine from M Series Rebuild.

It will make a big difference in cold weather starting and overall performance.
Longhunter7

Northern Illinois

63' Dodge M37-B1

Molon Lave

NRA Certified Weaponologist
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

Replacing the points/cond isnt fun even if u take the trouble to remove the inner fender liner. Technically point gap (dwell) affects timing so as the points rubbing block wears and the gap changes so does timing. By utilizing an electronic system the dwell never changes and so neither does the timing once set. I first used an electronic conv. kit in 1984 in a early cj-5 it failed at about 10 yrs, however another veh. I converted jus a couple yrs later is still working today, so they are reliable.
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Electronic ignition modules

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We stock these kits for M37, M715, all Jeeps & 4 cylinder military standard engines as well. We also offer the conversions for the older 2 1/2-ton & 5-ton trucks that are still running the gas burner engines. We have done the conversions on the military distributors used in the M114 armoured personel carriers that have the 350 Chev V8 engines. Have done various 6 & 12 volt units as well. We do lots of complete distributor rebuilds at the same time the new modules are installed.

To answer your question about performance & reliability; it makes a huge difference. I can give you this example of how much stronger the spark is. After a 100% rebuild throughout with an electronic module installation, the spark will jump up out of the inner cap towers & onto the brass plug cable nipples, a good 1/2" to 3/4" spark jump. This is part of our test on the stand after rebuilding. Just try getting a 1/2" blue spark jump from a distributor with points & condenser installed, not likely to happen.

Our modules that fit the military waterproof distributors are priced at $155 + $12 shipping & insurance. No modifications necessary to install. We offer complete rebuild service if you need it.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Longhunter7
PFC
PFC

Ignition Module

Post by Longhunter7 »

Mr. Charles Talbert is the best source for ignition products and information.

Install the module and never look back! :arrow:
Longhunter7

Northern Illinois

63' Dodge M37-B1

Molon Lave

NRA Certified Weaponologist
m15256
CPL
CPL

ignition module

Post by m15256 »

Re: removing the inner fender, I never have had to, maybe because I only use the top 4 dist. cover screws. Re: The super strong spark, it seems that would result in carbon runners within the dist. cap. or is that caused by hairline cracks in cap,and high resistance further through the system to the plugs? It seems as though there are a lot of low quality ignition replacement parts being offered from various vendors. I've had points and rotors simply fall apart. The M152 used to have carbon runner problems until I replaced the really worn CDN dist. with a rebuilt US one out of a 251 cu. in. engine. By the way if you ever have to do that you have to change the oil pump to match because of the off set in the shaft tang. Thanks for the replies, Rick
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: ignition module

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

m15256 wrote:Re: removing the inner fender, I never have had to, maybe because I only use the top 4 dist. cover screws. Re: The super strong spark, it seems that would result in carbon runners within the dist. cap. or is that caused by hairline cracks in cap,and high resistance further through the system to the plugs? It seems as though there are a lot of low quality ignition replacement parts being offered from various vendors. I've had points and rotors simply fall apart. The M152 used to have carbon runner problems until I replaced the really worn CDN dist. with a rebuilt US one out of a 251 cu. in. engine. By the way if you ever have to do that you have to change the oil pump to match because of the off set in the shaft tang. Thanks for the replies, Rick
Removing the inner fender splash shield is overkill in my opinion. It's much easier to just pull the distributor out & go to the bench. Carbon runners are only an issue if the inner cap is no good. In this case the issue is just as great if points & condenser are used. You are correct in saying there are some poor quality replacement parts out there. Some vendors insist on peddling this junk, interesting how the price is always in line with the better quality stuff that we & other vendors offer. We recommend replacing the inner cap & rotor along with installing the module. Our instructions also state that a module will not fix other distributor problems such as worn shaft bushings, etc. All these areas need to be checked & appropriate repairs made. If you are installing a module in an otherwise poor condition distributor, you need not expect the superb performance I have talked about to result. Your post sounds like you aren't well informed on superior quality upgrades that will make your truck much better & more reliable. We have tested everything we offer as upgrade components very well, they are time proven. Whether or not you choose to update yours is your call. A simple phone call or e-mail to our shop will get all your questions answered readily. You can then make an informed decision about purchase based on the real & solid facts.

By the way, only using 4 top cover screws will cause you problems in itself. The top will not fit flat on the housing & be secure which will bring about rotor & cap issues. If you are running like this, I'm not surprised at all to hear you say you have been plagued with problems. You will continue to have bad experiences until components are rebuilt & assembled correctly.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com