ARE THERE ANY

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

ARE THERE ANY

Post by anthony manzella »

BOOKS OR diagrams on our winch would like to see or have before I go taking things apart to fix the clutch , or may be someone could post one . :wink:
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
244ENBN
PVT
PVT

LU-4 winch

Post by 244ENBN »

I googled LU-4 and found this website. Not a technical manual but it does include a nice exploded view of the winch assembly. Also several helpful pictures. I just rebuilt mine with all new bushings bearing and seals last week and this site was helpfull. imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/lu4winch
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

The most critcal part of a winch build is being sure the 2 end housings are perfectly aligned with each other. If they aren't, oil will leak even with new seals. I've discussed this procedure several times & given detailed descriptions of how to do it. The military manuals don't cover this alignment procedure, I don't know why.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

WINCH / CLUTCH

Post by anthony manzella »

THE REASON Iam looking for pictures is that my engauge /desegauge is not working on the winch , Charles mention that the clutch may need to be ajusted or there could be a loose bolt , dont mind getting greasey or dirty but would like to keep things in order :?
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: WINCH / CLUTCH

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

anthony manzella wrote:THE REASON Iam looking for pictures is that my engauge /desegauge is not working on the winch , Charles mention that the clutch may need to be ajusted or there could be a loose bolt , dont mind getting greasey or dirty but would like to keep things in order :?
There is no clutch adjustment involved, simply a loose set screw that locks the clutch dog fork to the shift shaft is the likely deal. Could be more complex if parts are broken. There is also a set screw in the external lever where it locks to the shaft on the outside. Be sure the shaft is turning when you move the lever.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
g741
PVT
PVT

Post by g741 »

Hello Guys: It has been my experience that the clutch arrangement on the LU4 and MU2 winches is the "weak Sister" on these winches. The first thing to happen on the LU4 is that the "dog clutch" after some heavy pulls develops a burr down around the keys and the shaft and the "dog clutch" will not slide easily anymore. The next thing is that you force the shifter lever and then the set screw (no key) that holds the fork to the shaft wallers out and you have the loose shifter fork in addition to a stubborn dog clutch. Only solution is to remove the winch, take off the clutch end, clean up the clutch and shaft so it slides good, replace the shifter shaft and maybe the fork, re-assemble and voila, it will work right again. Sid