Gasket sealer question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

flobble
PVT
PVT

Gasket sealer question

Post by flobble »

I have a question for all you good engine rebuilders out there(especially Charles). Although it's not an M-series, I'm in the process of rebuilding the Wisconsin engine on my air compressor, and although I've done a few engines before I've been thinking alot about this one. What's the best recommendation for gasket sealer to be applied to the gaskets during assembly. I always use copper-coat on the head gaskets and manifold gaskets, but what about all the other ones, ie. valve cover oil pump, etc. I have used the age old gasket shellac with good results, but it's messy and makes it a pup if the engine has to dissassembled again. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Paul
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Gasket sealer question

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

flobble wrote:I have a question for all you good engine rebuilders out there(especially Charles). Although it's not an M-series, I'm in the process of rebuilding the Wisconsin engine on my air compressor, and although I've done a few engines before I've been thinking alot about this one. What's the best recommendation for gasket sealer to be applied to the gaskets during assembly. I always use copper-coat on the head gaskets and manifold gaskets, but what about all the other ones, ie. valve cover oil pump, etc. I have used the age old gasket shellac with good results, but it's messy and makes it a pup if the engine has to dissassembled again. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Paul
NAPA Permatex anearobic gasket maker. It's in a blue tube, is red in color, & looks like grease when applied. It is the best we have ever used. Does not cure until out of the presence of air. We also use aerosol Copper-Coat in the high heat areas as well, a great product. Permatex high-temp thread sealer used on bolt threads where through holes are encountered will stop many slow oil seeps too. These are 3 products we are never without.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
flobble
PVT
PVT

Post by flobble »

Thanks Charles, I knew I could count on you for the expert answer.
HOLZINGER
PVT
PVT

Post by HOLZINGER »

MSeriesRebuild wrote: Does not cure until out of the presence of air.
I have always wondered what keeps it from curing in the tube???
John
NRA LIFE MEMBER
1954 M37 w/w
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

HOLZINGER wrote:
MSeriesRebuild wrote: Does not cure until out of the presence of air.
I have always wondered what keeps it from curing in the tube???
There is air in the tube also. It's a different type of tube than what is used for silicone, etc.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

To add to what Charles stated there is a large amount of oxygen content in the liquid tube mix. Thus it being "anaerobic", it will cure only when confined between two mating flanges because that oxygen is dissapated and no new air can get to it. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
HOLZINGER
PVT
PVT

Post by HOLZINGER »

Thanks for the information. I have only ever used conventional sealant. Now I must stock up on some of this!
John
NRA LIFE MEMBER
1954 M37 w/w
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

HOLZINGER wrote:Thanks for the information. I have only ever used conventional sealant. Now I must stock up on some of this!
It ain't cheap initially, at about $14 per tube at NAPA, but I promise you will not be disappointed in its performance. Well worth every cent. I'm satisfied it has made us money over the long haul.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

HingsingM37 wrote:To add to what Charles stated there is a large amount of oxygen content in the liquid tube mix. Thus it being "anaerobic", it will cure only when confined between two mating flanges because that oxygen is dissapated and no new air can get to it. :)
David, do you offer this type of sealant through your day job?
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Charles,
Yes. I will send you an email with the Loctite and Perma-tex sealers we carry. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".