318 12v 24v

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

318 12v 24v

Post by bubba_got_you »

Ok now that I put a 318 in my truck can I keep it 24v or do I need to swap to 12v if so what all needs to be changed.
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

You can keep it 24V if you make some changes to the engine. First you would need to figure out how to hook up the mill 24V generator or altinator. Secondly you would need to either run the starter on 24V which will spin it really fast and shorten the life of it, or get a 24V starter or have the one on the motor rebuilt into a 24v one. Then you will need to change your coil to a 24V one or get a dropping resister to make it 12V at the coil. I'm going off of foggy memory here, but didn't the military use the 318 in another vehicle like some armor or something that had a military distributor (ignitor) so if they did you could try finding one of those and change your ignition over to a military setup with waterproof wires etc. Not sure if that is possible or not, but just a thought. I'm sure someone will post more information.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

The M880-Series had 318's in them, running 24V as I recall....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Post by bubba_got_you »

Ok so I am going to convert to 12v but how do I hook the new alternator to the old voltage regulator? Or do I need to get a new regulator?
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
tmbrwolf
PFC
PFC

Post by tmbrwolf »

The M880 318 (and the rest of the truck) ran off of 12V, some of the series did have an added 24V system to run military radios and RATT rigs, if you can find the 24V system alternator bracket it would make installing the generator easier, IMHO I would think it would be easier to do a complete 12V conversion, basicly change all the bulbs, guages and senders to 12V ones!
Ken
SFC USA (ret)
51 M37
52 M38
poor rich
CPL
CPL

Post by poor rich »

Be aware, there is no fuel gage for the truck that works on 12V.
Rich
My wife loves to cook, bakes fresh cookies for my lunch every week, and now she wants a 15" Mortar.... life is good!
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

Just use a 12 SI alternator that has regulation built in
and chuck the regulator.
See Mad Electrical: here's a good URL
http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml
J.B.
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

The first generation M113 had 318v8 with 24v ignition. They also had a waterproof distributor (a la M37).
Though all the parts of this setup are VERY hard to find since all of the M113 from second generation on were diesel powered.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina