Starter Whine

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

hairpin151
PFC
PFC

Starter Whine

Post by hairpin151 »

It seems that now more often than not when I step on the foot starter to start my truck it will whine without engaging.It will do this two maybe three times before it decides to engage and start the truck.What do you guys think?Thanks.
g741
PVT
PVT

Post by g741 »

Since the "clutch" on these starters is activated in a positive manner when you push the starter pedal, the starter drive gear, if all is in good condition, has to be engaged into the ring gear on the flywheel before the starter is engaged electrically. Now, if you are not engaging, it may mean that the gear on the starter, the ring gear or both are bad. You might also look to see if there is an adjustment on the starter switch and clutch lever that might be set up wrong.
hairpin151
PFC
PFC

Post by hairpin151 »

Will do.Thanks!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

When it does engage, does it sound normal? If so, most likely your issue is adjustment. Very easily fixed in 5 minutes or less.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
hairpin151
PFC
PFC

Post by hairpin151 »

Yes,when it does engage it sounds like it should.Thats cool,just an adjustment for once.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

hairpin151 wrote:Yes,when it does engage it sounds like it should.Thats cool,just an adjustment for once.
That's my guess at this point, you will notice a short bolt in the starter arm that contacts the switch rod. It needs to be adjusted so that the starter drive & flywheel ring are already engaged before the switch activates the starter motor.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Mine grinds occasionally too, and in my case it's the flywheel teeth. Some areas on the flywheel show extreme wear which is why it doesn't always do this. I have the replacement flywheel with pristine teeth-just need to resurface it then bust a gut installing it....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500