Rim outers......

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rim outers......

Post by Monkey Man »

I want to fit Goodyear MTR 315/75 R16's to my truck and they need a rim wider than the stock unit (8" minimum), I noticed a few of the guys on here had taken the Budd Centres out of stock rims and put them in a tubeless outer - are these an off the shelf outer or do you need to get something a little exotic to be able to clear the brakes (I have discs all round) or do I simply widen a set of M37 rims then try to get tubes and flaps to suit?
Thanks in advance

Best Regards - MM :-)
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Dicktater
CPL
CPL

Post by Dicktater »

Monkey Man,
I think William Watson has about the coolest lookin wheels I have ever seen on an M. I checked the photo gallery here but his pics are not there.I'm sure he will chime in.
Gregg
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Rim outers......

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Monkey Man wrote:I want to fit Goodyear MTR 315/75 R16's to my truck and they need a rim wider than the stock unit (8" minimum), I noticed a few of the guys on here had taken the Budd Centres out of stock rims and put them in a tubeless outer - are these an off the shelf outer or do you need to get something a little exotic to be able to clear the brakes (I have discs all round) or do I simply widen a set of M37 rims then try to get tubes and flaps to suit?
Thanks in advance

We have used many tires this size on the stock rims with radial tubes & flaps. Work great, never a problem. We have customers trucks working in all sorts of conditions with these installed from Sunday drivers to severe off road. I wouldn't recommend spending $$ for rims to run this size tire unless you just wanted new rims anyway. Neither would I recommend any wider based tire than this on the stock rim. An 8" width isn't enough difference to cause concern. As always, check the rim groove & lock ring for good condition parts, damaged parts are extremely dangerous with any tire installed.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

Stockton Wheel...they make them all day long.

Another deal is to remove the center from both the M37 wheel and a Hummer H1 bead-lock rim, and welding the M37 center into the Hummer wheel. Basically makes you a "modern" combat wheel.

steved
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Thanks to all.......
I'll ask them today Charles as to wether they will do the fitment on standard rims, if not, I'll ask if they can supply the radial tubes and flaps (same size as the 900-16 0nes??) - the worst they can do is say no and supply me with the parts to do it myself. I like the LAV conversion if Bryan's but most conversions you guys do there are hard to get the components to do the same here so I have to go for the options available to me.
Take Care

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Charles............
I took the truck down for a "test fit" and the 315/75/r16 is almost 4" lower than my 9.00-16 NDT, given that the test tyre was about 75% worn I think the difference was too much, either the tyres I can get here are 33" equivalents or my math is seriously wrong so I am stuffed for now......
The 315/75/r16's are $350 Aud, the next size up is $500+ Aud and they refuse to fit it on anything but a tubeless rim - Frustration PLUS!!
Never Mind, I'll keep looking for some elusive conventional 10.00 or 11.00-16's that are road rated and fit the bloody things myself, Tassie is a nice place to live but I am too far away from all the goodies you guys have access too :-(
Take Care

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Monkey Man wrote:Charles............
I took the truck down for a "test fit" and the 315/75/r16 is almost 4" lower than my 9.00-16 NDT, given that the test tyre was about 75% worn I think the difference was too much, either the tyres I can get here are 33" equivalents or my math is seriously wrong so I am stuffed for now......
The 315/75/r16's are $350 Aud, the next size up is $500+ Aud and they refuse to fit it on anything but a tubeless rim - Frustration PLUS!!
Never Mind, I'll keep looking for some elusive conventional 10.00 or 11.00-16's that are road rated and fit the bloody things myself, Tassie is a nice place to live but I am too far away from all the goodies you guys have access too :-(
Take Care

The Yokohamas we use in that size is so close to the same height it isn't even worth figuring. The width is an inch & a half or so wider than original. We have ours mounted at our dealer right here in town, one of the largest heavy truck tire dealers in the southeast. They install on the rims, furnish tubes & flaps, computer balance. We pick up & install on the truck, never the first problem on our truck or customers. Yokohamas are the best tire we've run on the M37 after trying many different ones. They are available in 2 tread versions, the A/T which is a similar tread to the BFG, the M/T that we usually run is a much more aggressive tread, works great on & off road.
Last edited by MSeriesRebuild on Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

Hey Tony,
I swaped over to BFG All terrain 315/75/16 and I think it´s the best single upgrade I´ve done to the truck so far.
They measure 34.6" tall and the 900-16 were 35"
I´ve used the budd centers into radial 16"x8" rims. I needed to give a little more backspacing (move the rim out) to clear the brake calipers but that was all.
I couldn´t use the stock rims cause BFG now has a Rim protection lip that don´t allow to use a deeper rim.
Use heavy duty rims, mine are 4mm thick.
Beside all the ride and handling benefits, I think the truck looks cool with this wider tires.
There´s no 4" difference between them.
Comparison
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Hello all. Regarding metric tires, because I tried to go that way too but the cost for five 315/75/16 Goodyear tires in Greece would equal a top condition used 5.2 v8 w/ tranny, so I skipped. 315 is the width in millimeters. (1 inch equals 25.4 mm) 75 means that the sidewall is 75% of the width mentioned earlier. Finally, the 16 refers to rim diameter in inches. in other words this tire has a width of 12.4 inches as opposed to 9 (in the original 9x16). It has a side wall of 9.3 inches as opposed to 9 (the 9x16 is really a 34 / 9 - 16). In conclusion, a 315-75x16 (taken that it is what its configuration denotes) should fit the Budd rim DIAMETER wise. while width wise I would take Charles' word that it fits - every day of the week twice on Sunday. The total diameter will be 0.6 inches taller, while the width of the tire will be 3.4 inches more. Regarding the width I do agree with Juan about our trucks looking better with wider tires. It is a big truck and though a 9x16 is a big tire, it does look a bit small. I hope I helped a tiny bit. :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I've heard of tyres of different brands being much smaller than others, but that is mad!!

315/75R16 should be the same as a 35x11.50R16, but it seems not in this case!
1981 Series 3 Fitted For Radio Land Rover
1961 Series 2 Ambulance Land Rover
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Hello Phoenix, I have several issues of the "petersen's 4 wheel and offroad" magazine. Whenever they run a tire comparison the editors point out that the tires are usually something "close" to what their designation denotes rather than being exact. If I remember correctly at some point they were testing 35 inch tires of various well known manufacturers. The diameter of the tires fluctuated from brand to brand to about 2 inches, and so was the width. Now is that furstrating or what? :?
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.