Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ChrisC
CPL
CPL

A few underhood questions

Post by ChrisC »

Greetings all!
I figured it was a good time to tidy up some mechanicals on the engine before I put the front sheet metal back on and I have a few questions.
Below the generator, there are two small rubber lines that go from the fuel line to copper tubes that run up to the manifold, are these standard, or part of the cold weather kit? The hoses are very dry rotted, can replacements be purchased?
The truck has metal Douglas connectors, but my oil sender has a single threaded stud, am I missing a wire, or do I have the wrong sender?
On the vent lines from the distributor, I was told the fittings up on the carb neck were special, but mine are just regular brass fittings, I was told this could cause problems with the ignition system. Is this true? If so, does anyone have the correct fittings?
Thanks
Chris
DA Supply Weenie
President Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society Museum
http://www.mimths.org

1942 Ford GPW
1942 Chrysler Fire Pump
1943 Hudson Invader
1944 WC-52
1951 M100
1952 M-37
1985 Dodge W-150 (Ex-Air Force line truck)
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: A few underhood questions

Post by w30bob »

Hi Chris,

Not sure what you're talking about with the copper tubes......would love to see a pic of that.
You've got the wrong sender. The correct one has a douglas connector on it.
The vent line fittings for the distributor are special on the inside of the elbow, not the outside, so you'll have to look inside to see if you have the right ones.
When people say the wrong fittings can cause problems it's because the fittings provide the cooling airflow to the sealed distributor. If you don't have them the distributor will burn up.
I believe pics of those fittings were put up on here not too long ago.....search for distributor and the post should come up.

regards,
bob
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

DSC01290B.jpg
DSC01290B.jpg (63.42 KiB) Viewed 1627 times

Chris are you talking about the two rubber lines right under the generator in the picture ? If you are One is the vent line for the Gas tank and the other is the vent for the master cylinder. Both can be had from any vender.
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
ChrisC
CPL
CPL

Post by ChrisC »

Bob,

Those are the lines in question! GAs and MC vent, I will have to add those to my list of things to buy, along with the correct oil pressure sending unit.

The line from my distributor does not have the fitting with the inside elbow, I guess I'll be ordering one of them as well.
Don't you love the nickel and dime stuff that seems to come with the re-assembly phase of every project.

Waiting to see how bad the front fenders look when they get back from the media blaster

Thanks for the help!

Chris
DA Supply Weenie

1942 Ford GPW
1942 Chrysler Fire Pump
1943 Hudson Invader
1944 WC-52
1951 M100
1952 M-37
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I made my own 90 degree fittings for the distributor cooling by soldering in some bent tubing sections. I've heard you can just slash cut a straight piece of tubing and face one into the incoming air and one with the air flow.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

ChrisC wrote:Bob,

Those are the lines in question! GAs and MC vent, I will have to add those to my list of things to buy, along with the correct oil pressure sending unit.
The ordnance part no. for the gas tank and master cylinder vent line flex hoses from the frame to the engine is 8327963. According to Garbee's replacement parts chart, those flex lines from the frame to the engine are Weatherhead 11212 (http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/PartsCross.PDF).

From the Weatherhead (Eaton) catalog:

I've sourced these flex hoses (and some of the other fittings for the brake master cylinder vent line, such as the valve [WH 6820] and elbow [WH 402X3], plus the flex hoses at the fuel pump [WH 11078] and oil filter [WH 11224 - 2 required]) from http://www.finditparts.com. They drop ship directly from Eaton in TN. The valves only sell in a package of five, so I have some extras if anyone needs one for their master cylinder vent line.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Elwood,

That's some great digging you did on those parts! Gonna put that info in my notebook and order when ready.
Thanks for the effort.

regards,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Thanks, Bob, but all I did was accumulate information that others have researched, primarily from here on this forum. I started with Garbee's spreadsheet of parts, and have been updating it to reflect parts that are no longer available (getting harder to get a lot of this stuff through NAPA, for example), etc.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Elwood,

Re-reading your post the part numbers for the valve and elbow looked familiar. I had posted those part numbers back in November in a post entitled "Master Cylinder Vent Valve and Elbow"...which explained it. I don't know what you paid for your valve, but I checked NAPAONLINE and they want $31.50 for ONE! I bought mine from MSC Industrial on the web for less than $4.89 apiece back in November. Same deal with the elbow......$2.28 each from MSC. Now I just checked the MSC site and it seems prices have risen significantly since November. The catalog page still shows the valve costing $4.89, but when you click to order the price jumps to $12.44 each. So I'm not sure what's going on there. The elbow is listed at $2.29 each.

The fuel hoses are listed as $22.50 each at Napa, $14.50 at finditparts.com. I couldn't find it listed anywhere else. So if anyone is looking to buy these parts.......NAPA is not the best deal in town!

regards,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Bob, I didn't note where I found those part numbers for the valve and elbow, but it was probably your post - thanks!

I paid somewhere around the current price you found for those valves when I ordered them. Must be the cost of brass has jumped. Eaton packages those valves in bags of five, so even if MSC shows a single valve price, I'd be surprised if they will sell them one at a time.

As others have reported here, NAPA is discontinuing a lot of their older parts. When I could find items at NAPA, they were higher, usually much higher.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

This is great information guys, thanks for posting it.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

ChrisC wrote:Bob,

The line from my distributor does not have the fitting with the inside elbow, I guess I'll be ordering one of them as well.
Don't you love the nickel and dime stuff that seems to come with the re-assembly phase of every project.

Waiting to see how bad the front fenders look when they get back from the media blaster

Thanks for the help!

Chris
I actually have two of the vent line fittings which I salvaged off of my old carb air elbow. PM me if you're interested!

-T
ChrisC
CPL
CPL

Post by ChrisC »

T
Did you get my PM? I am interested in those fittings.
Fie some reason, the PM shows up in my outbox, but not in the sent, not sure what the issue is.
Chris
DA Supply Weenie

1942 Ford GPW
1942 Chrysler Fire Pump
1943 Hudson Invader
1944 WC-52
1951 M100
1952 M-37
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Chris,

The PM stays in your outbox until the person you sent it to actually reads it. Weird....I know.

later,
bob