brake and fuel vent lines

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

macibell111
CPL
CPL

brake and fuel vent lines

Post by macibell111 »

I am finshing with all new lines,i am hooking up the vent lines ,question is ,do they both go to the elbow on the aircleaner and if so does it matter which one goes where,it shouldn't but just want to be sure. there is 2 spots about 3 inches apart with plugs ,I am guessing they go there.thanks jack
T. Highway

Re: brake and fuel vent lines

Post by T. Highway »

They both go to the intake elbow and can share the same fitting if needed. The early intakes had a double connection on the inverted flare elbow.
TM 9-8030 has a clear picture on page 199 for you to look at. Notice that you also need to have the correct internal vent soldered into the flared fitting for proper air flow. My fitting was not the 90* elbow but is a slash cut (neutral) type of vent connection. This also holds true on the distributor vent lines but on those you need one elbow facing upstream and one downstream.
Hope this helps,

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks for posting those pics. When I redid my lines last year, I could not comprehend how the system would work since my flared connectors had no tubing, bent or slash cut, on them. I asked a lot of stupid questions before I saw pictures like yours.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I was working on the carb, on my '51 M when I noticed one of the distributor vent tube fittings was stripped. The guys at VPW were nice enough to send me a couple of replacement fittings. Just as described. When I removed the original fitting to replace it, I found it was just a 90 degree 1/8" pipe to 3/16" tube fitting no brazed tube on the pipe end. Having read the manual TM 9-8030, I noticed that there should be 2 of the hooks pointed in opposite directions. The picture in the manual shows one on the side and one on the bottom of the air cleaner elbow. Both of the distributor vent lines on my M are on the back side of the intake neck about 2.5 inches apart and the tubing is attached from the bottom of the fittings.(the flare connections are pointed downward) I have not had a chance to remove the other fitting to see if it is indeed just another 90 degree fitting or if it has a brazed tube on it. But am confused about the 2 replacements that I received. I had asked for just one, so was wondering if they weren't sure what I needed and sent one of each type.
Are you saying the vent lines for the gas tank and Master Cylinder need brazed tubing fittings as well?
Is this where the slash cut type goes or are these both for the distributor vent.

The hook type that I received would work in the position closest to the carb. it would be pointed downstream with the tube connection pointed down. But if I put the slash fitting in the side of the carb. it would be parallel to the flow.
Attachments
intake-distributor fittings from VPWs.jpg
intake-distributor fittings from VPWs.jpg (65.42 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

My intake elbow had the Slash cut style tube fittings on the fuel tank and master cylinder vents. The distributor vent lines had the elbow style fittings with one facing in each direction (upstream / downstream).

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Any opinions as to which type (slash or bent) works best? I bent and soldered mine, but the slash cut sure has a lot of surface area, but the tube direction is not optimal. How about bent 45 degrees and slash cut? Just throwing an idea out there. I have not had any coil issues yet.