m37 12 volt starter

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

42gpw

m37 12 volt starter

Post by 42gpw »

Does any one know where i can get a 12 volt starter for my m37?

Matt R
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Re: m37 12 volt starter

Post by Brett »

when I looked into it a couple of years ago. I talked to a local shop that rebuilds starters and alternators. They said they could rebuild my stock starter and rewind it for 12V. said it would run $100-$150.

Brett
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

If you have a local source that can (or will) rewind the armature for 12 volts, that's great, but if you get it done for $150, that is a miracle. With the current cost of stuff these days, rewinding materials and labor will go considerably higher than that.

There is a 12-volt Prestolite starter that is available through the NAPA Wilson line that works great also.
Last edited by MSeriesRebuild on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

A starter from a '54 through '57 Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, or Desoto 6-cylinder will also work and might still be available as rebuilt items through Napa, Autozone, etc.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Lifer wrote:A starter from a '54 through '57 Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, or Desoto 6-cylinder will also work and might still be available as rebuilt items through Napa, Autozone, etc.

Lifer, you may be aware of something that I'm not with this issue; so I'm not doing this post in an effort to say you are wrong. In fact if you know of proven possibilities that do work, I for one would love to hear them so we can check into them; we have tried many possibilities, some the ones you mentioned, and others that even looked remotely close over the years and have found that they simply don't work. The ones we have tried are not set up correctly with respect to the drive engagement with the ring gear. All will bolt up and make you think this is the ticket; however when you step on the pedal, you quickly learn otherwise. The original M37 starter drive is spun into engagement with the flywheel ring gear by mechanical means when the pedal is depressed. The linkage is adjusted so that the drive and ring gear are already into mesh before the electrical circuit is closed to activate the starter motor. The drives on all or most of the options you listed above simply push straight into mesh without the mechanical spin motion to get absolute tooth engagement; thus when the electrical contacts meet to put the starter motor in motion, you get gear clashing most every time. Once in a while it hits just right and it works ok when it does, but you will get clashing much more often than you will good hits is what we have found.

We have found the 1 starter from the NAPA Wilson line that works and works super good; (I have the part# at the shop) that is absolutely the only option we have ever found that is a bolt on replacement in 12-volt. It does not use the foot pedal engagement, but is a solenoid driven unit similar to a current day starter; however the solenoid pulls a mechanical linkage setting up mechanical motion almost identical to the way the foot pedal does it on the original. It has the correct set up that spins the drive into mesh via the solenoid movement before contact is made to activate the motor just like the original does. The only other option I've seen that works is to have the original armature rewound for 12-volt. The problem with that is there are precious few sources that can or will do it anymore. I'm sure the service is out there, not sure of the cost, as our local guy we could rely on for that service is long gone.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
rtkjmk
PFC
PFC

Post by rtkjmk »

Is there a particular reason you want to switch to a 12 volt system ? The 24 volt system when it is working correctly is a pretty bullet proof system . By changing out to a "modern" system you have a lot of bits and pieces to change to go along with that . The distributor for one , if you add a civilian distributor you must also change the oil pump gear . Plus bulbs , horn , probably add a alternator . I am in the process of add a 24volt alternator to my M37 , but leaving every thing else as is . You will have the benefit better charging and not have to change a lot of extra parts . Put a Pertronix in your GI distributor add a couple of the new Hi-tech batteries and you should be good to go . :D Bob K
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

There are 12 volt coils available for the GI distributor so distributor replacement is not a necessity for the 12 volt conversion. A civvy standard 12 volt coil with internal or external resistor can also be adapted to connect to the military distributor.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

VPW just rebuilt my odd-ball 12v starter, and they also list 12V starters in their catalog.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

I know this thread is over 5 years old but I sure would like to know the part number and any other information about the "There is a 12-volt Prestolite starter that is available through the NAPA Wilson line that works great also." Charles mentioned. I looked through 30 plus pages of search results on this site alone and no where else does anyone mention a good source.
ausb1
PFC
PFC

Post by ausb1 »

There is a new 12 volt starter for M37 on Ebay
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Or you might send Charles a PM....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Lenard wrote:I know this thread is over 5 years old but I sure would like to know the part number and any other information about the "There is a 12-volt Prestolite starter that is available through the NAPA Wilson line that works great also." Charles mentioned. I looked through 30 plus pages of search results on this site alone and no where else does anyone mention a good source.
We have found a different source for these since the info that is in this old post concerning the NAPA Wilson Line. The Wilson is a good product, but pricey. If you have interest, I'll get details and cost for the latest version we have used.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

ausb1,
I looked at that gear reduction starter on ebay. I read the complete ad on it and didn't get a good feeling about it. If you are selling a starter for a Dodge 24 volt conversion your customer feedback shouldn't be about the Willys starter you sell.

I sent Charles a PM. I feel more comfortable dealing with him and his knowledge.