Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

churtle
PFC
PFC

new rims and tires

Post by churtle »

Gents,

Just had some new rims made for the "M" and they look cool and with the mounted 37 inch Wranglers on the rims, they look even cooler and have a very wide mean stance ....i only have one issue and that how the rims fit on the hub...im used to the budd rims, and then these look so different, they don't hug the hub like the budd rims did. .....what do you guys thinks. see attached pics
Attachments
IMG00124.jpg
IMG00124.jpg (190.14 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
IMG00122.jpg
IMG00122.jpg (130.51 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
IMG00121.jpg
IMG00121.jpg (99.74 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Re: new rims and tires

Post by SOTVEN »

THEY LOOK COOL INDEED. HOWEVER, IMHO, I THINK YOUR "BACKSPACING" IS WAY OFF. THE WHEEL IS MOUNTED TOO FAR OUT, AND THIS MIGHT CONSTITUTE TO EXCESS STRAIN ON HUB BEARINGS AND EVEN THE TIRE LUG BOLTS. ALSO STEERING MIGHT GREATLY BE AFFECTED IN A NEGATIVE WAY. I HOPE I AM WRONG ON THIS ONE.
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
longshot2171
PVT
PVT

Post by longshot2171 »

I can't make out the valve stem in the 2nd picture. Is there any possibility that the rim is mounted backside out?
jjw
churtle
PFC
PFC

Post by churtle »

Longshot,

i think youre right, just went out and flipped on around, its showing very little of the brake drum now, but the valve stem is on the inside now?
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Post a couple of clear photos of each side of the wheel. Focus on the wheel.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

You do need to post some clear photos of details, the original pictures are not suitable that anyone can comment. I can see enough to tell that something is definitely wrong though.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
churtle
PFC
PFC

Post by churtle »

Guys,

try this link.....let me know if photos are better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59017968@N08/5401394621/
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

churtle wrote:Guys,

try this link.....let me know if photos are better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59017968@N08/5401394621/

In all honesty, these are no better than the first ones. The areas that really need to be cleared up for detail are still a big blur. Perhaps you need to use a camera with which you can have more control over specifics. You also need to offer some dimensions such as back spacing measurements, etc. I couldn't see well enough to tell; are the mounting holes chamfered on the plate side that is intended to be the outside? They would have to be in order for the lug nuts to find center when installed. You should be able to tell the outside immediately by seeing the chamfer.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
churtle
PFC
PFC

Post by churtle »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59017968@N08/5401725563/

I took the camera out and hopefully my camera skills are better........You can see in the photos of the tires that are mounted their is a 3 inch gap between the new rim and the brake drum, I really do think they placed the valve stem on the wrong side, as i have flipped one tire on the left rear and i have more wheel stud, just cant push flush because of the valve stem. thanks
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Wheel 1

Wheel 2

Wheel 3

The measurements asked for above are the offset and back spacing.

Have these wheels been inspected for trueness (runout) and concentricity?
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I would fully expect the tires to stick out further, these wheels appear to be at least 2" wider, with half as much backspacing, and a tire thats 3" wider to-boot...

On the upside, they appear to be a good looking wheel! :lol:
Where/whom did you get them from?
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Cuz,

I'm not sure what your desire was for backspacing and how wide your rims are, but here is what I did when I went to 17x10's on my M37.

In addition to going to a wider tire, I was also going taller. One of my concerns was to not only keep back side clearance when turning (no rubbing) I was also trying to keep the steering geometry as close to stock as possible. I wanted to keep the steering center line contact point of the wheel to the ground geometrical the same. Thus with the camber and stock wheel and tire measurements, I started doing some calculations and drawings with my 10" wide wheel, and 39.5" tall tire. Where I ended up was I needed to add 1" of backspacing more than stock, but based on clearances I ended up with only going with 3/4" more. This meant that the wheel/tire center line moved outboard only 1". With the 13.5" wide tires vs the stock 9" and a 2" wider track, my M ended up 6.5" wider than stock (3.25" per side).

The only rubbing I get is:
Front: Under 3/4 articulation and full turn the tires rub the inner rear wheel wheel close out panel.
Rear: Under full articulation, the top inside of the tire rubs the inner fender side panel.

To me it looks like you either decreased your backspacing, or they miss-built and put your requested backspacing on the valve stem side.

What was your desired backspacing?
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
churtle
PFC
PFC

Post by churtle »

i had sent an email to the manufacturer, and stated that i wasnt comfortable with the wheels, and this was his answer, trust me im no wheel genius?

Standard backside on the M37's is approx 6.75'. To clear the tires & suspension we moved the rim & tire out away from the body.This backside is compatible with outer M37's with the military tires. (i dont understand what he is trying to say here) can someone put this in layman terms, is it okay to flip the wheel and have another expert drill new valve stems?
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

W_A_Watson_II wrote:To me it looks like you either decreased your backspacing, or they miss-built and put your requested backspacing on the valve stem side.
That was my first thought, too.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

churtle wrote:To clear the tires & suspension we moved the rim & tire out away from the body.
Sounds like they are saying the reduced the backspacing to move the wheels outboard to give more clearance when the wheel is turned. I've not had that problem with my 39.5" tall tires.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site