Spotlight mount kits, any interest?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Spotlight mount kits, any interest?

Post by powerwagontim »

I am having a local fab shop work up a price for some M37 spot light mounts. They are basically a tube that bolts onto the lower drivers side fender, and has a tube at the top that the spotlight shaft passes through. There is a brace that mounts to the mirror mount bolt. I am working off the drawings that Jim Branson posted on the other thread about spotlights.
I do not have any of the spotlight components, so all I would be providing is the mount and the brace. I spoke with John Bizal at Midwest Military and he was pretty sure he had some NOS spotlights for sale.
At this point, I am looking for a rough number of who might be interested. I will then be able to give the fab shop a rough number.
Thanks,
Tim
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Good Idea

Post by m-37Bruce »

Count me in.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
djester
PFC
PFC

Post by djester »

I'll take one, dependent upon price, of course.

Dave
M37
M151
'85 El Camino
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

OK, I heard back from the Fab shop today. The price, based on 6 units, which is the number of folks who have expressed interest would be $195, plus shipping. If more folks come on board, the price will come down a bit, but not by a large margin.
Just so all the cards are on the table, I have marked these up $20 each, so this isnt being done to make a killing. My goal was simply to end up with one for myself. Truth be told, I would probably be smarter to just pony up the cost and have them make me the one, by the time I do the legwork and shipping them out, I will really have earned mine the hard way. However, I am glad to do this to help promote this hobby, so let me know if you are interested.
John Bizal told me about the clamp that squeezes the spotlight shaft but it is not on the drawings I have, so you will have to make that yourself. Apparently it is just a piece of steel wrapped around the tube, like a "C" with a carriage bolt squeezing it together, but without any specs, I would just be winging it.
Thanks,
Tim
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

blank
Last edited by M-Thrax on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Bill,
Would you be able to get me the specs? Or at least verify your memory? A picture would also be great.
Thanks,
Tim
Longhunter7
PFC
PFC

SPOTLIGHT MOUNT?

Post by Longhunter7 »

I would be interested in a spotlight mount also! Let me know if this is going to happen. I already have the correct spotlight! :!:
Longhunter7

Northern Illinois

63' Dodge M37-B1

Molon Lave

NRA Certified Weaponologist
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Re: SPOTLIGHT MOUNT?

Post by Chunk »

Longhunter7 wrote:I would be interested in a spotlight mount also! Let me know if this is going to happen. I already have the correct spotlight! :!:
Can you post some pictures of this spotlight? How about giving us some measurements too please? :) What diameter bulb does it use? How long is the shaft? What is the diameter of the shaft?Etc,Etc. Thanks,Joe
Longhunter7
PFC
PFC

M37 SPOTLIGHT DIMENSIONS

Post by Longhunter7 »

Gentlemen,

Here is the description and dimensions of the spotlight. On the outside of the box,

6220-322-2546
KIT SPOTLIGHT
1 EACH
DA-20-018-ORD-20698
GMC UNITED MOTORS SVC DIVISION
Detroit Mich/MFR-CONTR/
A-KIT 11/59

The shaft is 14 1/2" long and the spotlight is 6 inches in diameter painted O.D.

The handle is O.D. plastic with an on/off switch and a Douglas connector.

The only markings on the spotlight are MADE IN USA on the bottom of the rotating handle, and the word GUIDE S-16 on the bottom of the lamp housing.

It appears to be made by the Guide Lamp Division of General Motors, which also made the .45 cal M3 Submachine Gun "Grease Gun" in WWll.

I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet! :oops:
Longhunter7

Northern Illinois

63' Dodge M37-B1

Molon Lave

NRA Certified Weaponologist
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

Email your pictures to me.... gijoem37@sbcglobal.net I'll see if I can post them for you.
Carmen
PFC
PFC

Post by Carmen »

Can someone please explain and post some pictures on how you wire these spotlights. Is there a on/off switch in the cab, where is the correct placementof that switch.

Thanks

Carmen
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Carmen wrote:Can someone please explain and post some pictures on how you wire these spotlights. Is there a on/off switch in the cab, where is the correct placementof that switch.

Thanks

Carmen
There should only be one wire to deal with. This will be the "hot" wire and should connect to a switch-controlled current source (so that the light can only be used with the ignition in the "on" position).

It's possible that you could have 2 wires to deal with, in which case one of them is the ground wire. All the spotlights I've ever had, though, were grounded through the mount.

There is no on/off switch for it in the cab. The operating switch is on the aiming handle and is thumb operated.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
JGPierce
PVT
PVT

Post by JGPierce »

Tim,

Please add me to the list for the mount.....and c-bracket if you end up making that also.

John
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

blank
Last edited by M-Thrax on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

Darn I don't have a fax. :( I've always used scanner's or email.
I'll have to see if the old lady's work has one.