Oil pump install help

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Oil pump install help

Post by HingsingM37 »

So I am installing my new oil pump tomorrow. With the engine at TDC #1 I was going to install the distributor and with the rotor at number one slide the oil pump in. Is this the easiest or is there a better way to ensure correct mechanical timing? I always get nervous fearing a tooth off either way? :? Thanks in advance.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
amanco
PVT
PVT

Post by amanco »

I believe that MseriesRebuild can be quoted as saying #1 cylinder position on the distributor is at around the 7 o'clock position. That is what I found to be true when I pulled my distributor. With that being said, I would have to say the #1 piston should be brought up on TDC - ignition, note the offset position of the tang on the distributor end that engages the oil pump end and install the pump with it's mating end in the same position. When the pump gears mesh with the cam, the pump will turn so it may take a few tries to get the pump installed correctly. Then install the distributor. Turn the engine over and re-confirm that the distributor points to the #1 cylinder position at the same time the #1 cylinder is at TDC - ignition. If any one wants to help clarify or knows a better way, go right ahead. Also this is covered starting on page 106 in TM9-1840A
Keith
1989-94 USN Active Duty Seabees
1953 M37 W/W
1946 cj2a project
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

The drive gear for the oil pump is a helical gear. When you install it, it will turn a little bit. If your distributor rotor is aimed at #1 when you install it, it won't be once the drive gear is all the way in. A while back, someone posted the TO instructions for installing the oil pump. It would be a good idea to do a search for it and print it out before attempting the job.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Thanks guys. The Saturday plans are to get the oil pump, head, water pump, manifolds, and flywheel on. Barring any emergency 'honeydo' projects. We'll see what happens :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I have explained several times the correct procedure for installing the oil pump once & being correctly timed. Check out the archives, should be able to pull up the explanation. Trying to do it the way you talked about attempting is a long shot, you could get lucky but a very good chance you could wind up a tooth or 2 out of time with the cam. You can give me a call tomorrow if I can help.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Thanks Charles. I will check out the archives. If I run into a snag I will give you a call. You are the "Obi Wan Kenobi" of the MV world and we all appreciate your steady input here on the forum:)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Hingsing here's a post from the forum and copies from the manual don't forget to prime the pump first.

Hope this helps you out.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

RixM37,
Thanks for your post :D I searched the archive here for "oil pump" but it kept bringing up every article the had the word "oil" in it and I was going nuts. My manual only had like 5 sentences on the pump install and seemed to give me just enough to get into trouble. I have not seen these pages you posted before. Thanks to all who responded. Your all da bomb! I'll let you know how it goes. I sometimes think I was better in high school with engines than I am now, like the years have given me a "gearhead lobotomy" :lol:

David
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Hi Hingsing check out Military Media web site. You can get all of the manuals for the m37 and Dodge 3/4 ton on 1 CD for 19.95. It works with Adobe Acrobat and you can print out pages for a job like the oil pump install. If you want a paper copy of a manual check out Portrayal Press. Excellent reproduction of the original manuals.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

I do have that disc. I must have scrolled over the rest of the info or something. Mine stops after the paragraph about aligning the pump driveshaft to the heavy side of the flange. I looked again and do not have the pics you posted or the additional paragraphs in the manuals I have. Or it could be I am a Adobe dunce?
Anyway, all went well today. I fell short of the goal of mounting the manifolds because I got the "Honey, they are having a craft sale at the garden center call" from my wife. I had to clean up and meet her there. You all know the "trade factor", happy wife, happy life... :)
Thanks to all that helped me out.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

I know what you mean man!!
After 29 years I got her right where she wants me!!! :lol:
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506