Cap for fording intake

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Cap for fording intake

Post by carolinamv »

Hey guys, im not sure if this was covered yet in an actual thread but does anyone have any ideas for a mushroom cap for the fording air intake on the 37? Sure seems like there should be one and I like the looks of some M37's I found online with them.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Cap for fording intake

Post by w30bob »

Hi Jay,

I haven't seen any mushroom caps for the fording intake tube........but I'm sure they're out there. Problem is it's not a good idea to be driving around with the tubes attached for any length of time. The manuals are pretty clear about only putting the fording pipes on immediately before fording a river or stream, and then instruct to remove them right after fording is complete. The small diameter pipe really does choke the engine, making it work harder than when it can breathe freely. I think if folks started putting mushroom caps on the intake pipes people would start to think it's ok to drive around with the fording pipes installed. It's certainly your truck and you can do what you want, but it's not going to be a happy camper running with the fording equipment installed for long periods of time. :cry:

regards,
bob
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Bob is right-they didn't call for a cap because they weren't intended to be installed indefinitely. I've seen some "flappers" affixed on the top of some-most likely available through any heavy equipment parts supplier.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Bob , Gary ,

I agree, I know they aren't a long term item but how long would the Army leave the kit installed on a truck? A day , week, etc?

My intake tube I mount on mine for parades but I don't have the hose going to anything, just goes in the hole on the side. I like the look of having all the items but not using them , so the public can see what they really can do.
Sure looks like there should be something to keep rain or water out in the field like some of the other fording kits.

-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Jay,

I wasn't in the Army, so I can't speak firsthand, but the manuals say to install the kit right before fording and to remove it immediately after. Did they really do that..........I don't know. But I don't have very many pics of M37s in country with the fording kit installed. Actually, I don't know if I have any...........I'll have to go look. They also had a detailed procedure to follow to make sure the water forded didn't get into mechanical parts of the truck. So actual fording seems like it was a big pain in the arse for those guys.

The problem with air restriction from the intake pipe really starts at the air filter shroud. If you're running your truck with that shroud on you're already restricting the airflow to the motor.......the fording pipe just compounds the problem. I've seen guys who really like the look of the shroud punch holes in the backside of it so they could use it all the time.........but those shrouds are getting pretty pricey these days. If you're running the shroud all the time you might want to pop the top of it off and see if your truck picks up some power.......unless you don't care about that sort of thing. But it would be interesting to see if it really makes the difference everyone has claimed it does.

Gorgeous truck by the way........I hope it's not going to be crossing rivers anytime soon! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,
bob

regards,
bob
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Bob ,
I don't use the shroud, it stays home. Just the pipe and hose going under the hood like in the picture for looks. I agree about the restriction of the air and I baby my truck as it is.
My truck doesn't get driven on wet roads so it wont see any water fording anytime I own it. Only sunny days for me. I just want the public to see as much as they can and how correct the trucks are. ,Jay
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Sorry for the delayed response; great photo too! I only saw them deployed when on maneuvers where water was prevalent-like crossing creeks and such. Once we returned to the garrison they were removed and stowed.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hi Jay,

I got one off an M38 Jeep if I recall correctly.

You will need to cut a piece of rubber hose as a filler between the rain cap base and the fording tube OD, then it will clamp on tightly.
(I also do not run the air cleaner shroud, the intake flex tube just enters into the engine compartment and attaches to nothing). I can get a picture of the rain cap setup this evening if you would like.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Bert that would be great, I do the same with my fording kit.

Is it the cap off a M38 fording kit intake?
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Jay,

I will get pictures and measurements for you this evening, I ran out of time last night. :oops:

Bert
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Bert , Thanks. Is it the cap for the M38 fording kit? If I order that cap from a company that would be it correct?
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Jay,

I haven't forgotten about taking a couple of pictures for you, I will do so this evening. It has been snowing here the last couple of days and that has kept me busy with our rental properties after work.

Bert
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Jay,

Here you go, I put the tape measure next to it so that you get an idea of the overall size. The rubber hose is only a filler so that I could get it to clamp on securely.

Bert

MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

That's a really great idea of doing that. I wouldn't have guessed it was so easy. I have a friend with an M38 I will see if he has a extra cap. Thanks for doing that and getting the pictures, its helped a lot!
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Every M38 cap I have found looks different on the inside than yours and only measures 2 1/2 ID. I cant quite find the exact one.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB