53 tranfercase removal

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jacksauto
PVT
PVT

53 tranfercase removal

Post by jacksauto »

what is the prossess of getting it out of the truck,does the rear bracket come out first?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: 53 tranfercase removal

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

It's very straight forward. You will readily see that the rear cross member that supports the case is bolted to the frame brackets, not riveted like the front one. Disconnect drive shaft flanges and control linkages. Position a suitable, SAFE jack under the case and remove the 4 mounting bolts from the case brackets, then unbolt the rear cross member from the frame brackets and remove it; move the unit backwards to clear the front cross member and lower it carefully. The case is heavy sided favoring the back side; be careful not the let the case tumble backwards off your jack. An extra pair of hands to help balance the case is advisable unless you have a job specific jack that offers the ability to secure the case safely on the jack during removal and installation processes. Reverse this procedure to install the case.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
jacksauto
PVT
PVT

Post by jacksauto »

thanks for the info ,I will get going on that soon,want to clean and reinstall it ,60 plus years is too much dirt to deal with.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Make sure to check the 1/2" coarse thread cap screws (two on each side) that mount the case to the steel brackets.

They have (or should have) a safety wire thru them.

The ones on the passenger side are blind when in the truck, and I've seen many of the brackets wallered out and can lead to 'hopping' if left unnoticed.

Dennis
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

PoW wrote:Make sure to check the 1/2" coarse thread cap screws (two on each side) that mount the case to the steel brackets.

They have (or should have) a safety wire thru them.

The ones on the passenger side are blind when in the truck, and I've seen many of the brackets wallered out and can lead to 'hopping' if left unnoticed.

Dennis
This is definitely a potential trouble spot. We have repaired many a wallowed hole due to this happening. What we have found that works better than the safety wire is to use grade 8 bolts with heavy (thick) flat washers and lock washers. We clean the blind holes in the case well, re-tap with a bottoming tap, use RED lock-tite liberally and tighten bolts to 80 ft. lbs. Never have had this arrangement to get loose. Seen many a tie wire arrangement come loose though.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
jacksauto
PVT
PVT

Post by jacksauto »

I did find that these bolts were loose even when the wire was on.not enough to wallow out the hole though,i was going to wire it ,but after readeing about the grade 8 bolts I am going to go that route.have the case ready to go back in the truck this weekernd,still cleaning the frame and cab before it goes in.man that thing is heavy!!!!got it out by myself .might neeed help going back inLOL