legality of truck bed passenger carry

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

legality of truck bed passenger carry

Post by ZGjethro »

Since our trucks have factory installed bed seats, and we pre-date mandatory seat belt laws, does anyone have an any experience with law enforcement officers on this topic? I am getting troop seats soon, mostly since they are a cool option. I just wondered if they are legal today. I know a guy on this forum who has a more modern bench seat installed in the bed, and he has no issues here in Colorado.
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Re: legality of truck bed passenger carry

Post by refit1701 »

It varies from state to state. I only plan to use mine in parades at slow speeds so it's not much of an issue.

I don't think I'd want to ride in it without a bed cover at higher speeds.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

ZG,

I think this link answers your question.................

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/cargoareas

regards,
bob
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

the states have various laws but the seats are a factory install so state law is trumped by federal which says vehicles are legal on the road the way they came from the factory. eg adding a second tail light is not a legal requirement or adding seat belts to vehicles built before 1967 is not a legal requirement. so if the truck came with seats and was designated as a troop carrier as well as cargo carrier I don't think a ticket would hold up.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I personally would not want to sit on the troops seats and tool down a road at 35-40 mph. My old butt couldn't take it. Now say I was using the truck to transport folks from the front gate to a rear area a .25 mile away for an event then load them up and go at 5-10 mph no problem or in a parade like was mentioned before. If you do carry someone down the highway then I'd recommend the cargo cover and the safety strap so they don't fall out.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Kaegi,

I'm not so sure of what you say. Federal law states the trucks are legal to be operated on roads in the condition they were built, but does not state what is considered safe operation..........that's left up to the states. Just because the truck was built with rear seats in the bed doesn't mean it's legal to use them today. No pickup trucks have seatbelts in the bed, and certain states will not allow you to ride in the bed unless secured by them.....that's the state's law. So I doubt you could argue in court that you should allow people to ride in the bed of your F150 without seatbelts simply because the truck didn't come from the factory with seatbelts in the bed. The good news is most states will issue a verbal warning for first time offenders.

Another thing to consider................I doubt most MV insurance companies will allow you to transport people in the bed......except for parades probably. People should call and check.

regards,
bob
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I didn't mean seatbelts in the bed I just used the seatbelt law as an example. no vehicles built before 1967 are required to have seatbelts. States cannot make you install seatbelts or other safety equipment on vehicles unless it was federally required at the time of production. If the seats in the bed are there then they would be legal to use otherwise no old vehicle would be legal for many reasons.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Bob, thanks for that link. I'd be legal if the tail gait was up. Then again, is the bed of an M37 a cargo area when it was designed as a troop transport vehicle?

I have been asked to drive the wedding party (groom, bride and close friends) around town after the ceremony, but I don't want to get cited.
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

Tell the local police chief or mayor what you want to do and why. I'll bet you get permission.
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

My son and his bride used my truck for there wedding trip from the church to the reception . He drove ,she rode shotgun ,with the wedding party in back, eight of them. I called the local police ,they said they had to be seated and over eighteen. This was in Wis. FWIW, it was my daughter inlaw's idea to use the truck!
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

When my sister in law got married five years ago I drove them and the wedding party around town after the wedding. I had hay bales in back for seats. The truck spent time in a fire dept and has a siren which just screams louder the longer you hold the button. If I didn't have problems then, I doubt I will have any problems in the future. It is a small town with 20mph speed limits off the main highway. 25 on the highway
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

Jake and Andrea 061909 004.jpg
Jake and Andrea 061909 004.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Here's two pics of the wedding limo
Attachments
Jake and Andrea 061909 205.jpg
Jake and Andrea 061909 205.jpg (28.62 KiB) Viewed 1188 times