M60 machine gun mount on M37?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

M60 machine gun mount on M37?

Post by Rusty S. »

Does anybody have any documentation or information about the mounting of M60 machine guns on M37s ? I am not really interesting the "gun truck" versions, but just a single mount situation if they ever existed. Thanks.

Rusty
Rusty S.
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

Im not sure but I think alot of the gun mounts were field expediant. I dont know if there was ever a manual or standard parts list. I think they just made the paticular gun mount fit the truck the best way they could. Although if there is a manual or directions Im sure someone here has or knows of them.
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Yes, there is a standard pedestal mount for a machine gun that mounts at the center of the front bed panel. I don't know what the model number is, but there is one. As I recall, it just barely clears the bed-mounted spare tire.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

I suppose you're talking about this. I don't remember who's the owner of this truck. I just do a search in my PC and found these pics. I should have the installation manual for that pedestal mount but don't remember it's file name.
Now the question. I've seen only M2hb .50 cal mounted there. was the M60 used on these trucks? if so, do they use the same mount?
I just remember the original manual shows exactly wt's in these pics.

Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

Very good pictures. I think the mount is an M24A3 or something like that. I have run into a few other m37 owners looking for them too. Apparently they were being reproduced at sometime. I was under the assumption that they were for the WW2 3/4 ton trucks.

It looks like something that could be fabricated if I can obtain the hardware at the top and the travel bar. I wasnt going for the gun truck theme, but the photo showed the application of the M60 on the M37, just what I wanted. Thanks for the help.

Rusty
Rusty S.
flobble
PVT
PVT

Post by flobble »

I just noticed in the one picture there is an extra bow for the top. was this something someone added, or did the M37's ever have these? Just wondering.

Paul
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Good eye, Paul. It's definately an extra.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

Interesting. I noticed the footman loops on the wheel well/ floor too. My truck has so many extra holes drilled around various places in the bed and rack. Makes you wonder what they did with them sometimes...

I would have loved to see an interior shot of the gun truck there. Wonder what, if anything, the floor was covered with? What other "goodies" are hiding in there?

Also, the bumper markings appear to be slighly censored. On my computer, I can detect a variation of the pixilazation over the driver`s side bumper, and some on the passenger side as if on the original image, it had been airbrushed out. Maybe it is just me...

R.S.
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

The floor was probably covered in brass.....
MarineTracs

Post by MarineTracs »

For those more knowledgeable than myself on this subject, please peruse and verify.
As I recall, the M24A2 pedestal mount was of WWII vintage and was used, with field/shop modifications, on the M37's when they first came out. A new pedestal mount, the M24A3 was ultimately designed specifically for M37 use.
The pintle that goes on the mount is specific to the weapon, that is the M60 pintle is different and will not work with a M2 HB .50 and vice versa.
I decided last year to get a pedestal mount for my M37. Ironically, it appears that the newer version (M24A3) is almost non-existant on the market. After several months I was able to acquire the WWII M24A2 version. Then not being able to decide if I wanted a Ma Deuce or M60 (dummies, of course), I ended up getting both as well as pintles and feedtrays for each. Now I have two neat toys and choices. Thank God for indecision.
Chuck
1962 M37B1
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

knattrass wrote:The floor was probably covered in brass.....
Great answer! The big trucks started with sandbags and graduated to paving with (loaded)ammo boxes, I believe.

I was keeping my truck in the early `50s era (post war Europe AO), but I came into an all-metal airsoft M60, so it has me toying with the idea of dating it later(Viet Nam) when I repaint it. I think Numerichs has the M60 pintles...
Beltfed Only
PVT
PVT

M37 with M24A3 mount

Post by Beltfed Only »

Go with Ma Deuce, lots of fun off the M37!