m37 Prototype

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

m37 Prototype

Post by RMS »

i was browsing through "Brook's M37 pics" in "links" and was intrigued by this photo Image
apparently this truck or one like it was for sale about ten years ago for $12,000. where is it now ? anyone have info on this prototype or more pics of this truck. with its swing axles and what looks like central tire inflation it looks to me like the predecessor to the hummer.
.............................. use it ...............
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Re: m37 Prototype

Post by Kaegi »

I believe that truck resides in the Kempner Power Wagon Museum in Texas. I really want to check it out. I had heard of it years ago. been trying to come up with a reason to go back down to TX.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Army Motors 125 has a number of the M37 prototype photos as part of the M37 Story.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

I wish...

Post by Paul in Kempner, TX »

Kaegi, I wish that M37 Prototype was here at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum, but it isn't.

I do have several trucks that are unrestored and very original, but none of them is a one-of-a-kind.

Come to Texas. The military museums at nearby Fort Hood have a few special M series trucks to include a dump truck and a wrecker.

I look forward to you visiting Kempner.

Paul
Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246

"You have to GO BUY the book before you can GO BY the book."
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Re: I wish...

Post by Kaegi »

Paul in Kempner, TX wrote:Kaegi, I wish that M37 Prototype was here at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum, but it isn't.

I do have several trucks that are unrestored and very original, but none of them is a one-of-a-kind.

Come to Texas. The military museums at nearby Fort Hood have a few special M series trucks to include a dump truck and a wrecker.

I look forward to you visiting Kempner.

Paul

Hey Paul, might be down soon. work might send me to Austin for a week or so. could make the trip up then. do you know where that prototype is?
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Here's another pic of the prototype. The other interesting vehicle Chrysler was working on was the T53A1, a 3/4 ton CABOVER. We could be restoring and driving those today instead of our M37s if they didn't cost soo much to build. :D

t53 by w30bob, on Flickr

T53E1 by w30bob[*]
Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

Prototypes in late forties and early fifties

Post by Paul in Kempner, TX »

Many military vehicles and weapons systems built in the late forties and early fifties became the property of the government. One stated reason was that the engineering costs were at taxpayer expense and it might give unfair advantage to the corporation that had the development contract. The government retained full ownership and often destroyed these prototypes and their related engineering data to avoid those unfair advantages.

One of the most well known examples was the Northrop B35/B49 Flying Wing bomber technology which "disappeared" amid accusations of corporate greed and political corruption at the highest levels of government. Click on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YB-49 to read about this.

Even the Bantam Reconnaissance Car technology was owned by the government and passed on to Willys and Ford. I’m not sure how Willys legally ended up with the Bantam designs.

I grew up reading Popular Science and Mechanics Illustrated instead of comics. I remember reading about an experimental version of the M37 that used liquid fuel cells and was driven by electric motors at each wheel. It speaks well of the adaptability of our wonderful M37.
Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246

"You have to GO BUY the book before you can GO BY the book."
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

w30bob wrote:Here's another pic of the prototype. The other interesting vehicle Chrysler was working on was the T53A1, a 3/4 ton CABOVER. We could be restoring and driving those today instead of our M37s if they didn't cost soo much to build. :D

t53 by w30bob, on Flickr

T53E1 by w30bob[*]
do you have a bigger pic of the T53?
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

Kaegi wrote:do you have a bigger pic of the T53?
seconded : bigger pics please.

I like the look of the front end with its one big headlight and what looks to be self adjusting lovers like an old kenworth
.............................. use it ...............
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Sorry guys.....that's the ONLY pic I can find on the web of the T53....and it's small. I'll keep looking....but no promises. :)

regards,
bob
paul_bish
PFC
PFC

Post by paul_bish »

there are more pictures of the T53 in Fred Crimsons book
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-S-MILITARY- ... 231c92ec38
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Well..........I just happen to have that book sitting on the shelf. There are some good pics in there, but unfortunately it's like 2" thick and I can't fit it on my scanner (I have to be able to close the lid on the scanner or it won't work). So I'll bring the book to work tomorrow and get the pages scanned. I'll try to post them tomorrow night.

regards,
bob
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Bob if you have a digital camera set it on Macro and snap a close up photo of the pic in the book. Then you can post it through one of the photo hosting sights like photobucket . I have done that many times.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

rix.....I'm on it. Give me a few minutes!!

thanks,
bob
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Here goes...........

DSC03902 by w30bob, on Flickr

DSC03903 by w30bob, on Flickr

DSC03904 by w30bob, on Flickr

DSC03905 by w30bob, on Flickr