383 Mopar powered M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: 383 Mopar powered M37

Post by Carter »

Fantastic planning and high quality workmanship.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

Thanks guys, getting the inside put back together, loving the hand grenade shifter.

TimeNmoney

Post by TimeNmoney »

I've been watching this pretty close. At some point I plan on posting up some Pics of my 52 M37 with a 440 and NP 435/208.

Those Truck manifolds save the day huh? Would you be kind enough to show how you ran your Throttle and what you did for a gas pedal? Also Real curious how you are running your Exhaust-especially the passenger side.

I now wish I would have just shortened the long side of a D-60 instead of outboarding the springs. Your truck looks well planned and really "Clean".
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

The gas pedal is a 70's dodge pickup pedal and cable which I highly modified. The exhaust is hard to get a pic of.

TimeNmoney

Post by TimeNmoney »

Nice... Thanks!

That is Soooo much cooler than what I was trying. I think I'll just spend some time in the garage tonight-you gave me an Idea.

My concern is how to run the PS exhaust from the manifold back to the crossover without the driveshaft thinking it is lunch time every time it gets crossed up.

Thanks again.
nhjohnny1
PFC
PFC

Post by nhjohnny1 »

So what is involved in narrowing an axle? I like the idea of keeping the stock spring setup but not sure about the cost and work involved in the axle
Thanks
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

The exhaust clears the front driveshaft by a mile, the only drawback I can see to narrowing the front axle, is the driveshaft gets closer to the transpan if you are running an automatic. Would never hit in my application, but if it didn't have bumpstops, it could get close. Drove it down the street the other day with no front shocks, damn near bounced me out of the truck. Checked the clearance with a camera, plenty of room.

Narrowing the diff is pretty straight forward, the long side just needed 3.5 inches cut off. The cut off piece needs to have the left off tube removed from the upright C with a grinder or lathe like I did. Then slide it back onto the axle tube, set the caster with a degree gauge to match the opposite side, and weld her together.
nhjohnny1
PFC
PFC

Post by nhjohnny1 »

Thanks, where do you get new axles? or is the old one resplined?
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

I kind of left that very important part out. I actually ordered mine through Moser Engineering, they make a really nice Dana 60 front axle custom built to length. My short side was really rusty at the seal surface, so I ordered that side as well.
nhjohnny1
PFC
PFC

Post by nhjohnny1 »

thanks again for the info
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

Finally got the wiring done, and the little Vintage air hot rod heater/defroster installed. Still need to figure out what I'm going to do for ducting, but it fits really well, and the heat works great in these things. I've used them in several vehicles, and have never been disappointed.

isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

this truck is looking great!
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
TimeNmoney

Post by TimeNmoney »

Must. Have. Update.

Looking forward to how you address the inevitable "glitches" and your initial impressions.
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

I have been driving it a good bit while finishing up a bunch of little things. The thing ran hot as hell in traffic, hitting 220 degrees several times. I knew the radiator was more then enough to handle mostly stock 383. Radiator was suppose to be good for 700 HP. Ended up changing pulley size on the water pump, the only problem was, the 383 didn't have room for a smaller pulley. The mounting bolts for the water will hit the pulley. I ended up counter sinking the bolts to allow the room for the small block pulley. Allowed the water pump to run faster at low speed as well as the fan.

This seems to have fixed that issue, never get over 190 in the worst of traffic. Also the driveshaft shop made the driveshaft a little tight, didn't put the slip in the middle of the measurement like they were supposed to. They are making it right, just a minor slip up. Other then that it runs great, smooth, shifts great, the ride isn't even all that bad. 4.56 gears with 37" tires worked out pretty well, truck cruises at 70 mph with no issues at all.

06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

A lot of work in very little time! Looks great! I am getting started putting a 5.7 hemi/NAG 1 in mine- had a 440/727 in it, but need the overdrive. It's going to take me a LOT longer.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921