Slow, Old and Green

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Slow, Old and Green

Post by RMS »

hello everyone Im Robyn. i got my first m37 ten years ago, it was my first vehicle. i taught myself how to drive in the m37 and even did my drivers test in it.
when i got the m37 i didn't know a carb from a clutch, let alone know how to preserve and maintain a 60 year old truck.

my 52 Canadian m37 with 4.89s, .040 over 251 @ 7.5 to 1 sails down the highway comfortably @ 90kph and gets 14 mpg. Over the last ten years I have put 20,000 on the speed'O (for three of those years I had no speed'O). I have worn out many parts over the years. she has seen three sets of springs, front drivers side spring hanger, both rear most hangers + shackles, two rear drive shafts + one front, two steering boxes two sets of drag link and four Idlers + two brackets. as you can probably tell I use my truck for more than just parades.
October camping, Harrison west fsr
October camping, Harrison west fsr
IMG_2420.jpg (118.55 KiB) Viewed 4356 times

over the years i have collected many parts
DSCN0601.jpg
DSCN0601.jpg (116.67 KiB) Viewed 4356 times
including a 51 m37, 53 m43 and a 26,000ml original 51 B1 PW from the King collection.
Attachments
DSCN0563.jpg
DSCN0563.jpg (117.65 KiB) Viewed 4356 times
.............................. use it ...............
Cal_Gary

Re: slow, old and green

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome aboard Robyn! Glad you signed up, and posted pix as well! Feel free to weigh in with anything we might help you with-lots of great folks here, old timers, newbies, veterans, retirees, civilians, everyone welcome!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Welcome to the forum Robyn,

I like the first picture of your M on the camping trip, your using it like it was meant to be used. :D It looks like you have quite the organized collection of spare parts in your garage. Post more pictures of your M off road when you get time.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

thanks for the warm welcome Bert and Gary. by request i uploaded some videos to YouTube : first up is sliding with ndts http://youtu.be/zwJNYEwR6YQ the video was taken at fossil beach on Harrison lake in BC CA 26km up Harrison west fsr and down hail creek. one of my favorite detours. next up we have a three part video taken up Silvester road on the east side of stave lake. it was the first time i broke something on my truck.
never again will i slingshot out a stuck truck. one mistake i made was having chains on only the front wheels second was not checking that the guy had a full tidy tank of diesel in the back of his chev. if you turn the volume up on vid 2 you can hear when the cup gives out and in vid 3 you can hear the yoke pink into three pieces. the uj didnt break.
http://youtu.be/b1thVmGdiyI http://youtu.be/cxUBRHlqhcY http://youtu.be/WpVVGa_gqbg.

ten minuets under the truck in the snow and the offending drive shaft was out. thankfully i had a spair in the tool box. i would probably get better mileage if i dint carry so many spares. well i would rather bring too much and not need it then not bring it and need it.
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

HI AND WELCOME!!
I am sure you will be able to help US all here, with your wealth of experience. nice to hear from you
BOB
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Robyn,

That is a great video of your truck coming off the beach, thanks for posting. That looks like it's out in the middle of the sticks. Is this were you hunt or camp?

I liked seeing the M37 pulling a stuck modern vehicle out of the snow also. Too bad you broke a driveshaft doing it though.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

@ Bert its not quite the sticks to me, but it is a little ways out of town. even though its usually a 200k round trip for me. it sometimes feels like im still in town. on a long weekends there can be a lot of yahoos out on the gravel. the best time to be out in the local woods (for me) is from October to May. during that time i might come across one or two trucks. mainly i do fishing and camping. too many regulations and restrictions for gun ownership here in Canada.
if it was not such a hassle i would have a browning in the back of my 37.

hop in the passenger seat and take a six minute cruse with me. http://youtu.be/CPWiljKODkAthis video picksup right after leaving the beach as we climb from lake towards the main fsr.
sorry about the stump. hope you didn't spill any beer.
chris olson
PFC
PFC

Post by chris olson »

Welcome to the site Robyn... I Still have my old M37cdn waiting on an engine swap...
Did you ever get that big rig manual steering box figured out?
1952 M37cdn
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

hi chris. no i don't have the big Saginaw box on my truck yet. i got a second m37 last nov and me and the woman have been working hard de-siliconing the truck. i do have it mounted and it looks like its going to work out right. i can dry steer the truck (motor in) with one hand by the spicer joint.

i would put up pics but "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." should i start a new thread ? if i do it will be called manual Saginaw box

get that truck together summer is coming and there are dinosaurs to be burnt .
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

WELCOME TO THIS SITE FRIEND. NICE TRUCK YOU HAVE. GIVEN THE DRIVING YOU DO, I WOULD EXPECT TO SEE A WINCH ON IT, NO? THANX FOR SHARING THE NICE VIDEOS TOO. I CAN NOT SEE CLEARLY YOUR LOGO. IS IT AN ENGINE BLOCK FLOATING IN A BATHTUB WHERE IT SAYS FLOATING POWER? :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

i just picked up a winch last week. :mrgreen: I'm going to over haul it then install it. along with some air lockers, pump and tank. :twisted: i will be unstoppable 8) well untill i break an axel :cry: my avatar is a flat head in a bath tub. i know its a 4cly but its still floating power. got it from an old cartoon if i could post more pics i would post the original. what is with the "board attachment quota" ?
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

Robyn,
The board attachment qouta deal is only when you up load the pics as an attachment. it works better if you link to a pic that is hosted on a web pic gallery. I use the Gallery on this site. try doing a search for posting pics for some tips.

Brett
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

picked up another m37 last sunday. it is a 1953 ex us air force with winch and cdn hard top ( witch is strange i ).
IMG_0916 by robynneedsparts, on Flickr
it also came with most of an arctic setup.
IMG_0908 by robynneedsparts, on Flickr

it has one of the biggest bumpers i have ever seen Image
IMG_0907 by robynneedsparts, on Flickr

i spent monday getting the motor running. when i started at 8am the motor was stuck by 9pm i had the carb cleaned pump changed ignition renewed and her coughing smoke and spewing oil. it seams that some ruff operator put a fork through the oil pan just below the skirt. sorry no pick but more to come
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Welcome aboard Robyn, quite a collection your amassing there!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

m-37Bruce wrote:quite a collection your amassing there!
its a bit of a problem i will be 137 years old by the time i finish them all. times a wasting i should get off line and back in the shop