My "M"...37

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Re: My "M"...37

Post by vinnytruck »

Good evening Namvet, as I have been told after reading your text, the best thing to do is buy sealer primer then I can paint even if its oil base on the M. Whats your thoughts. I will be trying to prime (again)/ paint on wed. weather looks good. thanks VT
vinnytruck
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I just went out and read the label on a couple of spray cans of Aervo, and it is an enamel. Looked at the SDS information on Arevoe's site. I think the spray cans are indeed an oil based enamel, and not a "water based enamel." One way to tell if your present truck is oil or water-based, is to rub it with acetone or lacquer thinner, if it comes off, it is oil, if not it is water-based. I have re-read your posts, and am not sure if your intended paint is water or oil. The Aervoe spray cans are oil. I hope to paint most of my truck's exterior tomorrow, hood, doors, and outer bed sides.

Just to show that I am no painter, I have a high-end Turbo for my Fuji HVLP gun, and recently bought the Eastwood two gun Concours set on a great sale. And went to prep and clean the two guns, and only now found out that the Turbine HVLP systems are not compatible with the newer air compressor guns. So, I have a nice two gun set but no compressor with enough pressure to use them. I have no room for a big new tank compressor, either. So will shoot it with my Fuji gun. It has shot my Gillespie just fine before. Will try to do it tomorrow. And recently ordered from AJP two gallons and some spray cans of the wrong color Gillespie that I have already used on much of the front of the truck. So gave all that to someone who is using that color, and had to order to gallons of the matching color.

So I am the last person to ask for qualified advice on painting these truck.

NV
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

due to the film thickness requirements of flat paint. it is always recommended to use a high quality 2K primer /sealer. also I had zero pop or fuz when applying arevoe "wet to wet" to the genesis 2k $400ca gal primer and the upole primer $150 ....but the genesis flowed better so.

check out this page : http://www.autobodystore.com/ lots of good tips and procedures in the classroom
.............................. use it ...............
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Guys, thanks for the input...THE TRUCK IS PAINTED. BOY DID I HAVE FUN. Used my inflatable spray booth, hllp gun, hardly had any issues, purchased the xylele at sherwood williams but found out home depot has it also. although I wanted the truck to be rugged. Ready for the decals. I will ask if anyone knows where they go. I will put up a list and hope some one out there will help. This is so special I cant wait to tell you guys. Hope to have pictures for you all this weekend. I was so worried but all came out grand. VT
vinnytruck
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

vinnytruck wrote:Guys, thanks for the input...THE TRUCK IS PAINTED. BOY DID I HAVE FUN. Used my inflatable spray booth, hllp gun, hardly had any issues, purchased the xylele at sherwood williams but found out home depot has it also. although I wanted the truck to be rugged. Ready for the decals. I will ask if anyone knows where they go. I will put up a list and hope some one out there will help. This is so special I cant wait to tell you guys. Hope to have pictures for you all this weekend. I was so worried but all came out grand. VT
Sounds like you did have plenty of fun, have you gotten all of your decals already?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Decals?

Certainly you mean stencils.

Big difference.

PoW
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

yeah I just came in from painting my truck. I just got a new Fuji pressurized HVLP gravity gun yesterday, so with some practice, shot the truck, bed inside and out, cab inside too, only masked off the windshield to do later. Looks great. Thinned the Gillespie with xylene to a cup of about 22 seconds, laid down nicely, a couple of runs, I will sand out and respray later. Just had a beer and one of my wife's great Chef's salad. I will paint the numbers and stars and such soon. It is a perfect day here in UpState SC, cool, low humidity, absolutely no wind, so did it in my driveway Watching football now.

all the best, guys....

NV
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I did mean "Stencils"! I just followed his lead, sorry about that Dennis.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

NAM VET wrote:yeah I just came in from painting my truck. I just got a new Fuji pressurized HVLP gravity gun yesterday, so with some practice, shot the truck, bed inside and out, cab inside too, only masked off the windshield to do later. Looks great. Thinned the Gillespie with xylene to a cup of about 22 seconds, laid down nicely, a couple of runs, I will sand out and respray later. Just had a beer and one of my wife's great Chef's salad. I will paint the numbers and stars and such soon. It is a perfect day here in UpState SC, cool, low humidity, absolutely no wind, so did it in my driveway Watching football now.

all the best, guys....

NV
If the paint is still soft, you could razor cut it out, sand and re-shoot?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

great suggestion! When back out to the garage and shaved off most of the several drips, making it easier to sand them in a few days and re-shoot them. Thanks.

NV
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I did it several times, those runs/drips happen all to easy.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

yeah, especially when using a brand new gun. A lot of folks thought I should leave it looking like a "barn find", but I wanted it to look like a service vehicle. So cut off the aftermarket top, made new wood for the bed, sanded and primed and then just painted it with the Gillespie. Have a pedestal mount in the bed, should have my gun by the end of the month. Engine runs great, trans fine, winch has a slow leak, so drained the 600 Mobil gear oil. Steering nice and just tight enough, brakes sturdy, a hard brake pedal. One new NDT, others OK. In a month or so will order a canvas top. Have new windshield wipers and such. Will mount the antennae soon as the paint cures.

Now off for some pizza with fiends.

all the best....

NV
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Well guys I made have goofed again... I purchased custom decals. I didnt know about stencils. Hope this will work. Tomorrow I will list the decals in hope some one can please help with the " where the hell they go ". If I have time tomorrow I will tell my story, how long can I write I will be as short as possible but I want to tell all. The story will be called two brothers. My son is still not home from college so pictures I know I promised will come. VT
vinnytruck
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

It's your story vinnytruck, make it right, pics will happen when they do. Where did you get the decals, MilStencil, aka, Rick Larsen might take 'em back if they came from him, minus s+h, maybe? BTW he sells both and oil boards as well. www.milstencil.com
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

M-37 bruce, I purchased them from a guy in long beach Ca. I dont think he is open anymore its been 4yrs since. I never got a responce from him. Hey can you go to tech. group and answer the decal questions for me, thanks VT
vinnytruck