My "M"...37

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

My "M"...37

Post by vinnytruck »

Well guys the time has come, I thank all who helped along the way...FOR YEARS...yes its been that long. I am so proud of all the friends I met at shows and who lent a verse to help with the build. I still dont know how to put pictures up but I will ask my son for help so keep you-all posted. The M is ready for paint. I will try within 2 weeks. QUESTION? can anyone tell me why maaco wont paint my truck with my paint, I told them to charge the reg. price but use my paint. Many have turned me down...WHY??? anyway I bought a spray booth that you can take it up and down, sort of portable. Anyone want to paint??? I am in central NJ. As soon as I paint the truck the story will come out. As I stated before it is a surprise and dont want after all these years for it to come out. I believe only 2 guys know, I told you at the show in Maryland. The truck is alittle raw but I need to have it that way for a reason. Cant wait to paint...Vinnytruck
vinnytruck
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: My "M"...37

Post by m-37Bruce »

I wish I could come help you Vinny, are you doing HVLP or traditional? Have you started masking? Inquiring minds want to know. I did mine simply under cover, no booth, open on three sides.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Are you using Gillespie Coatings?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

MAACO may not want to be held liable should the paint job fail to hold up, although you could offer a waiver that might make them reconsider, especially if the shop is independently owned and operated.

Why not ask a high school shop teacher if his/her students can paint it? (Right Andy "ASHYERS")?
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I would look for a local Trade School that teaches the body shop trades.

For example: http://www.penncotech.edu/programs/auto ... echnician/

https://www.autoeducation.com/schools/NJ.htm

Hope this helps you find a place / person to paint your truck.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Thanks guys for the replies. the paint is # 24087 olive drab semi gloss,I think I will spray the traditional way. purchased a while back from medford, NJ dont know if I can use his name but letters are A H. great idea to call on some schools thanks for the info. I will get on it today. Cal, what do you mean the paint will fail to hold? you mean it will not stick? a shout to bruce, thank you.
vinnytruck
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

The paint shops nowadays are very strictly regulated in the types of paint they are allowed to use, It has to be a water based paint and it has to be listed as such in the MSDS listings. The paint you have, while it is a water base, probably does not have an updated MSDS. They definitely would not be able to paint the Gillespie paint, it would clog the filters and set off all kinds of alarms in the system. Is Aervoe even still in business? I know Alan sold his business years ago. There were problems with the Aervoe paint fading and chalking in certain colors. I always used Gillespie so I don't have personal experience with it.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Vinny, yes, that's what I mean. RickF's points are well-taken too. I just picked up a couple of cans of Aervoe 24087 and the tint is indeed different than Gillespie's. I've always used Gillespie as well, picking up the Aervoe for some small touch-up stuff, but won't do that again.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

24087 is actually two different colors depending on the FS#. Very confusing stuff. So my recommendation is pic a color and a manufacturer and stick with it. (FS595A or FS595B. Both listed as 24087 but actually 24087 and 24084)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

OH BOY...I think I am in trouble. I purchased 2 gals. do I use them??? If so what should I look for in screwing up my paint job?????????HELP.............dam so close and now so far.
vinnytruck
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

just me wrote:my recommendation is pic a color and a manufacturer and stick with it.
thats what I did...... then the aervoe 987B (34088) was no longer available in canada by the gallon and I cant find ant for sale in the US... one truck is needing repaint and the other is half painted. :cry:

what paint should I convert to ? and who is willing to help with shipping to blaine wa
.............................. use it ...............
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

vinnytruck wrote:OH BOY...I think I am in trouble. I purchased 2 gals. do I use them??? If so what should I look for in screwing up my paint job?????????HELP.............dam so close and now so far.
I think if you change your formula, add a few ounces of hardener, it will change the molecular finish on the surface. If your spray blend already has the hardened, maybe double it? The hardener will give you a bit of a shine, there is a way to alleviate that, but it's above my pay-grade.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

RMS, You can get Gillespie from Brian Asbury in Ontario. There are guys in the LML that are getting some brought out from Brian and you might be able to get some added to that trip. Ask Brian. Sorry, I don't have Brian's contact info but I'm sure you can find it on the 'net.
Jess
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I happened to look up Aervoe and they are still in the business and they have up to date MSDS sheets so the info is out there and if you have any questions about the paint itself it is probably best to just call the company. I am sure they would be glad to help you. From what I saw they are a very large company making industrial coatings so this is no small fly by night outfit.

http://aervoe.com/paints_coatings/home.php

The one thing I notice is that they only luist the military paint by spray can, no gallons.

http://aervoe.com/paints_coatings/Milit ... Paint.html
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I am no pro painter, and have had more than my share of "miscues" when painting this or that. But be sure to test to see if a waterborne paint will work on a prior oil based paint.

NV