'17 California Power Wagon Rally, anyone going?

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

'17 California Power Wagon Rally, anyone going?

Post by ashyers »

Wondering of anyone was headed to Hollister SVRA next week. We're going down Friday morning and will be there until Sunday. We had fun last year and now that I know how things work we're going to spend more time on the trails playing. I just need to remember to keep my arms inside the vehicle to avoid the poison oak :shock: . I paid dearly last year!

Andy
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Re: '17 California Power Wagon Rally, anyone going?

Post by Tim Powell »

Have Fun Andy!
Wish we could join you! Well, without the poison oak! :wink:
Lori's M37.jpg
Lori's M37.jpg (28.52 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

It was another great event with more trucks this year. The range of vehicles was larger and the variety of modified trucks was interesting. We met some new friends and enjoyed the trails.

I really know very little about offroading (I did watch an old military Land Rover training video :D ), but the M seems to keep me out of trouble. I keep the speed low and use the gearbox and engine while staying out of the brakes and clutch. The truck seems to reward that by chugging over everything with little drama. One of the guys did have a bit of excitement when he slid over the edge of the trail trying to make way for another vehicle. He started slipping over and gassed it. This spun the tires and took the passenger side over the edge. The diff's caught a berm and kept him from rolling down the hill. His passenger side wheels were in the air! Fortunately with some winch work and a jack it was possible to get him back on four wheels and continue.

I'm sorry about the limited photos. Seems I just get busy and forget to take any... I'll have to see what Hilde has.
This WC was pretty cool, it was a telephone truck and Dave did a really nice job on it. You can see our M37 and another with a 6.2 Diesel nearby.
This WC was pretty cool, it was a telephone truck and Dave did a really nice job on it. You can see our M37 and another with a 6.2 Diesel nearby.
'17 PW Rally.JPG (127.09 KiB) Viewed 827 times
The M made it to the top and the new engine worked well. That's good because if it didn't Hilde would have made me fall on my sword!
The M made it to the top and the new engine worked well. That's good because if it didn't Hilde would have made me fall on my sword!
'17 PW Rally Top of Hill.JPG (113.13 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

Sure sounds like it was a fun time!
I'm not an "off-road" guy. Costs too much to get the mud off the rig!
Glad you had fun and really glad the Fellow didn't roll his truck.
Another reason to stay on the "flat land".
Way-Too-Muddy.jpg
Way-Too-Muddy.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."