New Album of Vehicles at Yesterdays Event

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

New Album of Vehicles at Yesterdays Event

Post by Carter »

Live fire @ APG. Attended yesterdays 100 yr Centennial live shoot at APG, some shots we took:

http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... emId=16169
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Re: New Album of Vehicles at Yesterdays Event

Post by HingsingM37 »

Severe awesome!
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Great pix Carter-thanks!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Thanks guys.
Carter
Life Member:
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

great pictures! Back in "the summer of '69", when I graduated via ROTC at Nebraska, and was on active duty that very day, I drove after graduation in my '69 Charger R/T (ah, what a great car to take later to Germany!) to Benning, to begin what was ultimately a 30 year army career. Early on in my infantry officer basic class, we were trucked out to some range, where we sat in bleachers to watch a live fire demonstration. It started with a lone infantry man running from an APC and flinging himself down on the ground, and then popping off rounds from his M 14. Then the track commander opened up with the big 50 cal on top, adding to the din. Then a 106 Recoiless Rifle jeep joined in, followed shortly by a 4.2 inch track mounted mortor. It was getting hectic, with all those tracers going down range, and explosions on a distant hill. Then an M60 rumbled up, and it added to the mayhem. And for a moment all shooting stopped, and an aircraft flew low dropping napalm on the hillside. Us newly minted Lt's were duly impressed. But in the back of our minds was the nagging realization that if we were to fight the Russians, we would likely be the defending forces on a hill somewhere in Germany.

I have always wanted my own vintage military vehicle, and now of course have my own really nice M 42. When I was at Nebraska in the mid '60's, out of LIncoln in some salvage yard was a 6 wheel WWII armored car (a Grayhound?) I gazed at it every time i drove by it, and wondered if there could be some way I could acquire it. I never stopped to ask about it, having no money as a student.

My dad told me after WWII, he coming from farming country in Nebraska, he knew of a farmer who bought some surplus Shermans for like a hundred bucks each, thinking they would be useful for farming. Apparently it had not worked out well, something about gas costs or the like. Likely the Shermans ended up as scrap.

Cleaned my first firearm yesterday, a WWI 303 Mark III SMLE Enfield. Bought it for ten bucks out a barrel at 5 and dime store in '59, with my lawn mowing money. Went back later and bought my first Mauser, also for ten bucks. It has taken the last half century to complete my collection of vintage military rifles. I shoot all of them.

All the best on this Memorial Day weekend, guys.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

and my truck, soon to be restored.
[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Nam Vet, sounds like one hell of a demonstration that I would love to have seen. Years ago Dad and I attended another one of APGs fire power demonstrations at night put on for the West Point Grads and what a lively shoot that was. Lots of tracers, Vulcan cannon, mortars, Parachute flares and a line of M60s firing main guns and machine guns. TOW launchers as well as two 60" search lights projecting upward. It was not open to the public but Dad was a GS15 at the time and somehow got a ticket for me. Loved it.
Carter
Life Member: