Some thoughts on "Upgrades"

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

just me
1SG
1SG

Some thoughts on "Upgrades"

Post by just me »

I spent the last three weeks doing a complete rewire of a customer truck. (A 1952 M37) The fellow isn't at all interested in the m37 as a piece of history. It is just a toy. Because he perceived issues with the stock truck, it was too hard to drive, he spent a LOT of money on modifications.
He put a dual circuit power brake master cylinder under the running board to the stock brakes. No more going in water or mud for him! They added a 12V electric vacuum booster to it instead of tying into the engine. Also under the running board and with no filter. (And a rats nest of poorly done wiring center tapped off the batteries.) The reduction of brake effort is minimal compared to a well adjusted set of stock brakes.
He added the power steering kit that is ever so popular and available. It really makes steering easy. The pump mount works well. The plumbing is in the way in the engine compartment and the extra tension on the belt has eaten his water pump bearings. The angle of the Pitman arm to the idler arm is worrisome to me as is the amount of angularity in all the u-joints. I really don't like the loss of the horn button. But, I'll say it again. It REALLY steers easily.
That said. I may use the mount he has and the Ford pump. I've already had my waterpump modified to bearings instead of bushings so it shouldn't be an issue. I will adapt a Ford style servo and cylinder to the tie rod for steering. That will retain the original box and column and also be a few minute uninstall if needed or desired with no permanent modification to the truck. No cutting or welding.
He replaced the manual trans with a Turbo 400. That was mistake 1. he really needed to have put an overdrive trans in it.
The amount of cutting and fab work was done nicely. but was a lot of irreversible fabrication. The moving of the NP200 back, the shortening and lengthening of drive shafts. The adapter mount fabricated looks great. The front drive shaft hits it in intown driving. Something is going to break. Soon.
Also, they removed the clutch pedal and linkage, but the shaft is still there for the brake pivot. There is NOTHING keeping that shaft in place. He is going to have to have his fab shop pin it in place!
They couldn't use the original starter so put in a 12V reduction starter. On 24Volt and wired from hell. It was causing a lot of issues.
The Generator was removed and a Delco 10SI 24V alternator was installed. The charge wire ran all the way to the battery box. Tied to the fuel lines. Instead of modifying the mount, They used a grinder and "Modified" the alternator housing! A lot.
The regulator was left as a power junction box.
When it became obvious that I wasn't going to be able to keep it 24V, he allowed me to take it to 12Volt to solve the issues.
I bought a 12V 10SI alternator and swapped the innards with the 24V modified one. Ran the charge wire to the starter terminal where it belongs. Removed the regulator and mount. Put the fuel filter on the firewall. Rewired the entire truck with a VWM harness, added turn signals. Removed about 40' of wiring from the starter ckt. Re ran the brake booster wiring. Wired the dash all to stock. Now, to keep his original Douglas gauges and senders I added a 15 amp 12v to 24v buck box. This also provides 24V for the heater as it would have been difficult to replace that motor. If you put a Douglas shell OVER a Packard end, it works and is as waterproof as the normal Douglas connection!
The oddest thing was the oil sender attached to the drain of the filter canister! It is moved back to its correct location. Swapped out all the bulbs and the job is done.
Those upgrades on his truck only added about 35 hours to the job of rewiring.
I told him I was done with his truck for a while. There are other things to be done, but we will address them in the fall when it cools off.

(Rant over)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Some thoughts on "Upgrades"

Post by RMS »

yup most modified vehicles are like that..... :roll:
.............................. use it ...............
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Now you've done it!

You're IT!

You have become the "last guy who touched the truck" and the person who gets the pleasure of dealing with all prior kobble jobs. Hopefully you won't end up sharing the blame when some of the creative engineering you describe goes south.

At least the truck now has a fighting chance :).
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well I nearly fought back tears as I read through your post, Just Me. That truck is not only butchered but sounds so unsafe that I wouldn't ride nor put my family anywhere near it! Unfortunately, that seems to be all the rage today: bob the deuce, zombie apocalypse, MRAP crap, on and on and on.... While I recognize that the owner of any vehicle can do as they please, there are times when common sense and safety have to be factored in so a disaster can be averted.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I try to limit my upgrades to things not readily seen to the common observer, but us forum members have extra-keen eyes and able to spot irregularities in many HMVs. My lockouts (and license plates) are the only externally visible upgrades/mods while I have an alternator under the hood and an electric fuel pump tucked inside my frame rails. I also run AB Linn-supplied electric wipers, and civvy gauges with the military speedo in the cab, as well as a pair of lap belts for added safety that tuck out of sight if I want to display the vehicle. Only a trained eye would readily spot those mods and all have enhanced my trust in the vehicle's capabilities and safety considerations.

Just my 2 cents,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

After telling the customer what I found, it is now at the fab shop that did the original cobbling for repairs. The owner wasn't amused when I could pull the clutch shaft out with my fingers and the brake pedal would fall out. And it seems no one thought that the suspension moved, let alone articulated as well as it does. The brakes will be the biggest down side of his modifications. They are the MOST limiting factor of all the butchery.
So at least, the people who did the most damage are now the last to touch it! again.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Wow, keep us posted....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500