Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Fargo

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Don't laugh.....I don't know much history when it comes to Dodge vehicles as my M37s are the first ones I've owned. I keep seeing the word "Fargo" when Power Wagons are advertised or discussed. What's Fargo? Is that where the trucks were manufactured, instead of Detroit? Or does it mean something else?

thanks,
bob
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Fargo

Post by DJ »

per Wikipedia

Fargo was a brand of truck originally produced in 1913 by the Fargo Motor Car Company. Dropped in 1922, the name was reintroduced for a line of trucks manufactured by the Chrysler Corporation after purchasing Fargo Motors in 1928. Later, Chrysler absorbed Dodge and started producing its truck line. Over time, Fargo trucks became rebadged Dodges, similar to the parallel sale by General Motors of its GMC and Chevrolet truck lines.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Thanks DJ,

I never knew there was an actual truck company named Fargo. I Googled "Fargo Truck" and checked the images.......wow. So the really cool flat fendered Power Wagons were designed by Fargo.....not Chrysler. I had no clue.

Very Interesting,
bob
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Bob.........There will be a test on this stuff later on, so we need you to pay attention. :twisted:

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Bert,

With my memory in a constant state of decline.............the results of such a test would NOT be pretty. :mrgreen:

later,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Fargo was used as the brand name for Chrysler trucks sold in Canada and other markets outside of the U. S. While mostly a Dodge product, Fargo did have some unique trim (grille badges, tailgates, etc.) A good history of the Fargo nameplate can be found here: http://www.allpar.com/old/fargo.html

Fargo was also the division used for many military contracts. The factory build card for my '54 M37 is stamped "FARGO" as the manufacturer.
w30bob wrote:Thanks DJ,

I never knew there was an actual truck company named Fargo. I Googled "Fargo Truck" and checked the images.......wow. So the really cool flat fendered Power Wagons were designed by Fargo.....not Chrysler. I had no clue.

Very Interesting,
bob
Well...the post WWI Power Wagon, as well as all other Chrysler trucks after the Graham Brothers, were designed in-house, through the Dodge truck organization. After the demise of Walter Chrysler's first truck effort (the original Fargo truck was cast aside after the Graham acquisition), Fargo was basically just a marketing entity, at least as far as civilian trucks were concerned. Power Wagons destined for sale in Canada and export markets were badged as Fargo trucks.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Wow.....I am so going to fail that test! :shock:

thanks,
bob
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

International (international Harvester) is a part of it too I think, well, it was here from what I can remember.

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Monkey Man wrote:International (international Harvester) is a part of it too I think, well, it was here from what I can remember.

MM
Interesting. I didn't know there was a connection between Chrysler (Fargo) and IH. The only linkage on this side of the Pacific that I can recall is that IH used New Process transfer cases (and maybe transmissions) in their light-duty trucks. New Process was a subsidiary of Chrysler.

Is it possible that IH and Chrysler shared production facilities in Australia? I thought IH was in Geelong, and Chrysler had multiple plants, but all in other locations?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Brigand
SGT
SGT

Post by Brigand »

Well just to further bend your head, Chrysler corp. manufactured flathead V-8's of Ford design at a Simca plant in France well into the sixties. So you could conceivably install a flathead Ford in a PW and be sort of justified. In a tangential perspective, if for some reason you felt the need to justify your decision to do so.
The Auto mfg. industry is terribly incestuous.
Brigand aka Bob Thompson

I would never join any club that would have me as a member.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

I have an idea DeSoto was another one tied up with the Dodge/Chrysler group down here, it might have been a local trade thing, where I live is about the size of a country town in the US, limited auto dealers...

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Monkey Man wrote:I have an idea DeSoto was another one tied up with the Dodge/Chrysler group down here, it might have been a local trade thing, where I live is about the size of a country town in the US, limited auto dealers...

MM
Definitely. DeSoto was a division of Chrysler Corp.

You might have found some bolt heads on your M37 that are marked "DPCD" in raised letters. Stands for "DODGE PLYMOUTH CHRYSLER DESOTO", which were the four car divisions within Chrysler. Imperial was sometimes a full division, and sometimes just a model within the Chrysler line, but they never got their initial on the bolts. :cry:
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

The reason I say it like that was the brands were split at some stage (about 40 years ago) so you had dealer equality and for example the local Ford dealer might handle one division and the GM dealer another, the roots group dealer had another part, not sure why it was like that and it went back to single dealership after a few years but still had many outlets in the truck division and that still carries on today, things in the US are so much more simple :-)

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

w30bob wrote:Wow.....I am so going to fail that test! :shock:

thanks,
bob
Bob,

See that.........MM said everything in the US is much more simple. :D

Your going to ace this Fargo test.....easily. :mrgreen: