Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Oddjob
SGT
SGT

M101 Trailer Picked up for the M37...

Post by Oddjob »

M101 Trailer Picked up for the M37...

I had been looking for an M101 trailer for the M37 for quite some time... Unfortunately they were just a little out of my price range for something I was going to fix up... So enters Government Liquidators... They had two M101's for sale this month in my area with the old style wheels like are on our M37's... 1961 Twin Coach Company and I don't recall what the 1953 was... My wife gave me the go ahead to buy both so I went about it... Unfortunately someone really wanted that 53 so I let it go but the 1961 that I bought is about 95% there... The rear Rib's in on both sides of the bed have a bit of rust that will be easily fixed... but for $300 and admin fees and fuel I think I made out... What do you all think...

Only thing I've found so far is I'm missing a data plate on the tongue and a gate latch that goes on top of the rear gates... Any idea where I can find those...

Also the rear gates move up and down a bit on the hinge is that normal or do I need to bush the hinges to take that up...

P.S. It's the damn wrong color to boot... :wink:

Brian
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: M101 Trailer Picked up for the M37...

Post by 52 M-42 »

I think you got a great deal. The cover alone (if it is not rotted) is worth more than you paid for everything.

I bushed my hinges because the rattling bothered me. I like them much better tightened up.

The body looks very straight and with a little sanding and paint, you should have a very nice trailer to match your truck. You can probably trade that top for a O.D. one if you want.

There is a leg for the back of the trailer you might want to look for. It helps to stabilize it when parked with a load.

Also, it is not correct, but I put an extra tool rack I had on the tailgate of my trailer because I think more tools are always better. :wink:

There is a guy over on Steel Soldiers that has gate parts for M101 series trailers. His name over there is gimpyrobb. You might try him for parts. Also, M-Series rebuild has a source for data plates for your trailer. I believe the name of the company is Cadillac Engraving or something similar.

I added a set of opening gates to the front of my trailer also, as an easier way to get at things packed in the front. I also mounted a spare tire on the front and a tow bar fits very nicely in a set of brackets mounted to the bed side of the front panel.

Just a few things to think about with your new trailer.

52 M-42
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

Looks like a nice trailer to me!!
I think ya done good, and it's not that hard to paint!
I worked on my gate latches and hinges as well. Must be the nature of the beast?
Anyway, congratulations! Looking good!
By the way, I paid twice that for our trailer and had to drive 600 mile round trip to get it home!
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

Unfortunately that cover is not canvas... That's one of the new vinyl ones... Beggars can't be choosers I suppose...As far as the bushing fortunately I have a lathe in the garage so I'll just turn some up... Those gates wobbling like that down the road would drive me nuts... I was thinking about locating another Budd Rim and tire to mount to the front of the bed... Seems like it would be a good idea... As far as a tool rack I gotta get myself one first for the M37... Extra tools never hurt I misplace them all the time already...

I'll try that guy over on steel soldiers and see what he has... As far as Mseries we know where to find him... :wink:

I don't feel so bad for doing a 200 mile round trip now... I suppose I lucked out... A guy working the surplus yard asked me how much I paid and he said it was a good deal.

Might end up making this my winter project since it's in decent shape along with the brakes and patch metal I have to do on the bed of the M37... Thanks guys

As always any extra input is always appreciated...

Brian
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I think you did great! I'm still watching for a decent one to pull behind mine one day.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

They are getting far and few between these days Gary... Time isn't on there side... When I got to the yard the guy didn't even know how to take the brakes off... Needless to say when we unloaded the brakes were not set in the yard nor on the trailer as I transported it... Not to mention the brief inspection of the handbrakes one of the brackets are on backward that actuated the brakes so that is probably one of the reasons it went DRMO... Who ever did the work didn't realize one side should mirror the other... So you can set one side but you can forget the other right now... They are no longer consistent with the other M101 series trailers they field not to mention they have the 5 hole bud's on it... Loss for them Win for me... :D
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

Few more pictures...

The Rot found in the ribs on the towards the back of the bed...

I was thinking this would have USMC Markings on the Trailer but I think it's 11th Armored Cavalry

Apparently just used threaded bolts for the pins...

Missing Gate Latch

Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

Looks Good Oddjob.
I think you got a good solid trailer.
In my travels over the road I see a few sitting around with some ridiculous prices and not nearly in the shape yours is in!
Another piece of history saved!! Congratulations.
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
Military Tank APU

Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

Well working on getting it titled so I can bring it on home from my buddies place so I can start working on it...
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

I was looking at my trailer and the "lock pin" your missing on the end gates.
Can't figure out how your came out?? Also too bad about the bolts where the hinge pins should be.
Must have just used whatever was laying around? At least it's all there. Still a good buy in my humble opinion.
corner gate hinge pin
corner gate hinge pin
DSCF2898 (200 x 150).jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
lower gate latch
lower gate latch
DSCF2901 (200 x 150).jpg (6.63 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
upper gate latch
upper gate latch
DSCF2896 (200 x 150).jpg (8.19 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
Military Tank APU

Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

Thanks for the pic's on those at least I know what I should be looking for... I don't know how things get lost either but the mechanic's that were working the equipment where this was held at probably didn't know what the hell they were doing as one of the hand brakes is not set up properly... As they say Stuff Happens... :D
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

From your earlier pictures your wagon has really different brake handles than ours does?
Brake Levers & Flag Pole Mount
Brake Levers & Flag Pole Mount
DSCF2875 (200 x 150).jpg (8.47 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
Military Tank APU

Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

Apparently the early M101's have them that way... Don't know when they discontinued them... Perhaps with the introduction of the M101A1... When I went to pick up the trailer because I couldn't find any info on how the brakes worked on it I asked the guy if they off or on and he was clueless as well... I suspected they were on... I was wrong...