Illinois license plate spotted, OM?

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

anonymous_1
PVT
PVT

Illinois license plate spotted, OM?

Post by anonymous_1 »

Hey guys, big question. I was heading home from the Quad Cities today on my bike and thought I'd stop in Geneseo, IL to look through the trucks this guy has. Anyone that's slightly familiar with the area probably knows what I'm talking about. He has probably about 20-30 2 1/2 tons on the West side of Geneseo on Route 6. I was just going to poke around and see if he had anything I could use. But of course no one was around. Then I noticed, all the trucks had license plates zip tied to them, probably for city ordinances, but still. So all these trucks have Illinois plates, with current stickers, all the plates look brand new still, and all of them say "OM" on the side. Must be some kind of "OM" series, but I can't find anything online about them, so I was wondering if anyone on here knew anything about them? I suppose I should of taken a picture. I'm guessing these plates might be "Old Military?" I'm hoping it's some kind of loop hole to licensing my Power Wagons, that would be great! Well let me know what you all think.
1953 M37 runs and moves after sitting abandoned for 15 years
OIF & OEF Veteran
anonymous_1
PVT
PVT

Re: Illinois license plate spotted, OM?

Post by anonymous_1 »

Found a picture online.
Attachments
Does anyone know anything about these plates?
Does anyone know anything about these plates?
1027om.JPG (243.71 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
OIF & OEF Veteran
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Seems your not the only one who doesn't know: http://www.alpcamapa.org/

This new plate type was spotted on an old military vehicle but no information is on the Secretary of State website.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
anonymous_1
PVT
PVT

Post by anonymous_1 »

Haha, yeah that's where I got the photo from. Must be a pretty big secret if the license plate collectors don't know. Guess I'll have to go back to Geneseo and track someone down.
OIF & OEF Veteran
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

From the Steel Soldiers forum, OM is original military. Below is part of the bill. The bill was just passed in the past year or two. Wisconsin MV owners just went through something similar.

Defines "former military vehicle" as a vehicle or trailer,
regardless of size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's
military forces and is maintained to depict or represent military design or markings, and does no
t
include a vehicle used for any commercial or production agriculture purpose. Provides that the
owner of a former military vehicle may register the vehicle for a fee not to exceed $100 for a
vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or l
ess; $150 for a vehicle with a
gross vehicle weight rating of over 26,000 pounds; $25 for a trailer with a weight of 3,000 pounds
or less; or $75 for a trailer with a weight of over 3,000 pounds. Provides that the Secretary of
State may prescribe that form
er military vehicle plates be issued for a definite or an indefinite
term, such term to correspond to the term of registration plates issued generally as provided by
law. Provides that any person requesting former military vehicle plates may also apply to
have
vanity or personalized plates.
Provides that a vehicle may not be registered under the new
provisions unless a title for the vehicle has been issued by the Secretary and the vehicle is
eligible for registration without regard to its status as a milita
ry vehicle.
anonymous_1
PVT
PVT

Post by anonymous_1 »

Thanks a lot DJ! I'll have to do some more reading on it to see what all I can do with it.
OIF & OEF Veteran
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

Antique Vehicle –Expanded Use , this is probably the license you'll want if your power wagons aren't M37's. Look on the Illinois DMV website under plates for all the info.