1954 M37 for sale, California

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
Carla

1954 M37 for sale, California

Post by Carla »

Hello, M37 folk,

I'm having to put my M37 up for sale, as I've been stuck with a medical condition (cardiac bad stuff) which makes it effectively impossible for me to pull even the easiest items of maintenance on the 37, these days.

First, the back story........My late partner Tricia and I bought the M37 in June of 1989, from a private collector. It had basically been in storage since surplused by the National Guard. Tricia......Patricia Elaine Gibbons......was a land mobile comms engineering person, and wanted to make up a comms vehicle, using the m37 with a S-144 shelter. We were able to get a MLQ-24 'milky24' radar surveillance set, replaced the milky 24 gear with comms radios, and re-purposed the original antenna tower system.

The truck itself was in 'never rusted' generally excellently preserved condition, but its engine had a problem. We replaced the original engine with a late 1950's Dodge '265' long-block' engine, the late version with sodium-flavoured exhaust valves. We'd had the 265 rebuilt by Tim Butterick, a well-known San Jose engine machinist, and it has run well all these years. The 37 had been converted to 12V when we got it, and we kept it 12V, but with a 100amp heavy-duty Motorola alternator and a set of massive batteries to power the comms gear.

Some other work we'd done on the M37 was to go through the braking system, replacing drums, frictions, master and wheel cylinders, etc., with the authentic 'new-old-stock' Dodge parts, which we could get, at that time. We found, and fitted, an original steel 'arctic top', and fitted a civilian pattern heater. We had the driving seat rebuilt by a local upholsterer, with best quality leather from the Salz tannery in Santa Cruz., and got a correct new length of line for the front winch. (which we very seldom used, to be sure)

I think.......could be mistaken, possibly, but I think...... this one is about the best 'preserved' (as compared to 'restored') original M37 one may find, given its careful preservation and gentle use, over the years. We did a lot of work on various and sundry 'minor details' over the years, to keep it carefully preserved.

We deployed the comms vehicle to various comms display and training events in the S. F. bay area, from 1989 to 2007, at which time Tricia had a cardiac condition emerge,and required a pace-maker. Tricia passed away in early 2010, and the M37 has been dormant since, except for a few deployments to ham radio field day events.

You may see many photos of our M37 on the internet, with a search on 'wa6ube', 'comvan' 'Patricia Gibbons', etc. (Tricia preferred to use her middle name 'Elaine' on the internet, with a youtube video of 'Elaine's Comvan', etc ).

I've sold the radio gear to the gentleman who took over Tricia's work in public-safety disaster response comms, but could include another S-144 shelter, a bare one, with the truck.

I'd be interested in opinions as to what the M37 is fairly worth, today. I've been told by local Military Vehicle Collectors Club people that it should be worth somewhere around $12K......its really time for the M37 to find a good home, so I'll solicit offers.

Call me, if you'd like, on 408 923 0843, or e-mail wa6ube@arrl.net

cheers

Carla
Last edited by T. Highway on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post moved to Swap Meet Section.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: 1954 M37 for sale, California

Post by NAM VET »

I am out of the country a few more days but want to express my hope and thoughts for you In this time of illness. I will post more when I get back.

NV