WTB PRC 77 Back Pack Radio

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Re: WTB PRC 77 Back Pack Radio

Post by carolinamv »

It seems no one has the complete back pack set up. Some have the back pack , some don't have the battery pack,some don't have all the antennas. It looks like it will cost a fortune to try and piece the whole kit together and it would be cheaper to buy a complete kit radio and all.

UPDATE:

I got one from Pvt. Jarhead's Surplus Stuff, I got the PRC77 , back pack, 2 diff antennas and antenna bag with hand mic. He didn't have the battery set up so I bought that from a guy on ebay so it runs on D batteries now. Now I hope to have a complete back pack radio set.

One more question , is there a small hand held radio that's cheap and easy to use that can talk to the PRC 77? To show my kids and people how it works.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Jay,

Glad to hear that Doug was able to set you up with most everything that you needed. Now we will need to see a picture of the radio setup when it arrives.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Bert ,
Will do. He was easy to work with but I'm still waiting on the radio , his shipping is pretty slow.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Heres a picture of the radio set after I restored the case and items. If you looking for a nice display radio set that goes with your restored or semi restored MV this might not be the place to get one but if you want a good working tested set to use then its great.

What I bought was a tested and working PRC77 radio set , that's about it. The condition was rough at best for the radio face and case. I sanded carefully the case and things not to mess up the seal sticker that voids the warranty. Id have like to sand blasted the case(or crushed walnut, etc.) then painted but I think I did a good job. Touched up some paint on the back pack frame, added a few items and markings and I had to buy the D battery pack that makes it work off ebay for $75 and here's what I have.

-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

That is a sexy looking radio Jay.

Bert

I left mine in a battle warn finish, that way I don't have to worry about scuffs.
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

I wouldn't have mined a few scuffs and scratches but the case on this one was really rough, that's the only reason I sanded and cleaned it up. I'm thinking I might buy a PRC 25 next from him , unless my buddy gets his working.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Hey Bert,
I was a 2531 in the Corps for a few years before switching over to aviation.... I seem to recall that the obvious indicator would be the data plate on the outside of the housing. RT 841 for a PRC-77 and RT-505 for a PRC-25. Also I seem to recall that if you do take the screws loose and slide that housing down, the RT-505 has one old type of "tube" visible and the RT-841 is all solid state. The jumpers you mention in the power cap is the X-mode connector or plug? I seem to remember somehow we just looked down inside it to tell... I'm sure a meter would be 100% though. The difference in a nutshell as I recall is that a PRC-25/RT-505 was not crypto capable and the PRC-77/RT-841 was/is. (Nester KY-38 or Vinson KY-57) We had a mixed bag at Camp Lejeune at 10th Marines while I was there. Lots of that stuff still clouds my mind.....lol.

Thanks for the info.

Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

topellis wrote:Hey Bert,
I was a 2531 in the Corps for a few years before switching over to aviation.... I seem to recall that the obvious indicator would be the data plate on the outside of the housing. RT 841 for a PRC-77 and RT-505 for a PRC-25. Also I seem to recall that if you do take the screws loose and slide that housing down, the RT-505 has one old type of "tube" visible and the RT-841 is all solid state. The jumpers you mention in the power cap is the X-mode connector or plug? I seem to remember somehow we just looked down inside it to tell... I'm sure a meter would be 100% though. The difference in a nutshell as I recall is that a PRC-25/RT-505 was not crypto capable and the PRC-77/RT-841 was/is. (Nester KY-38 or Vinson KY-57) We had a mixed bag at Camp Lejeune at 10th Marines while I was there. Lots of that stuff still clouds my mind.....lol.

Thanks for the info.

Mark
Hey Mark,
You are right about the Data Plate. I always watch ham fests, military vehicle swap meets etc. for these radios and parts. I have found that if the radio is scuffed up and the data plate looks new "BUYER BEWARE". I have found several sellers trying to pass off a PRC-25 for a PRC-77. Most of the time a seller doesn't want someone removing screws and opening up a radio at a swap meet, so that would limit a visual inspection of internal components.
The PRC-25 did use a tube for the Final RF amplifier and the PRC-77 used a solid state board. This lowered power consumption of the PRC-77.
To the best of my knowledge the Power X caps are the same for both radios. I always carry my Fluke 179 DMM and my 257477BA Battery Adapter filled with fresh D cells to shows, because I don't want to waste money on a toasted or mislabeled component.

Glad that I could supply the info,

Bert
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I don't have the backpack for mine but it fits well inside a musette bag, and the bag has side compartments to hold the microphone, antenna, etc. I'll look around for a picture.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

I'm having a hard time finding the external speaker box and cable for it, I have some others but none plug into the PRC 77.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Jay,

Do you have PNs for what you are looking to do?

I've made my own cable to hook up an external LS-671 speaker to the PRC-77 but was not at all happy with the performance limitations side of that project.

Bert
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
UZIS9MM
PFC
PFC

Post by UZIS9MM »

Carolinamv,

I have a spare speaker for the PRC- 25/77 if you're interested. PM me for details, I'm sure we can work something out.

Kevin