Fording Intake Pipe Dimensions

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Fording Intake Pipe Dimensions

Post by Elwood »

So issac_alaska and soupermike were interested in the dimensions for the fording intake pipe. I dug mine out and took some photos and measurements. It could be reproduced if you know a good pipe bender; perhaps a custom exhaust shop would have the experience and machine to make the bend.

Several things to note about the pipe that may not be obvious from the photos:

1. There is a bubble flare on the short end, where the flexible hose to the air filter shroud connects. The bubble flare has an OD of apx. 2.67", and the centerline of the bubble is apx. 0.313" (5/16) from the end of the tube. I say approximate because this pipe is not a precision piece of manufacturing, and the end of the pipe is not cut exactly square.

2. The short curved end of the pipe is not parallel to the mounting flats on the two "L" brackets. Instead, the short end is rotated 10deg from the flats. See the "End View" in the drawing below.

3. The "L" brackets are welded to the intake pipe along their sides only.

4. The pre-formed length of the "L" brackets is about 5-3/8"

5. The mounting holes in the "L" brackets are 0.405" in diameter, and are 5/8" from the outside edge of the bracket flat.

6. The mounting bracket flats are bent 90deg from the longer side that is then curved to fit the OD of the pipe.

7. The mounting flat of the "L" brackets is 1.62" in width (the long axis of the pipe), 1.44" in length (measured on the underside, see photo No. 5 below).

8. The distance from the mounting bracket flat underside to the outside of the pipe is 0.64"

9. The thickness of the stock used to make the brackets is 0.19"

10. The pipe wall thickness is 0.050"

Last edited by Elwood on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
soupermike
PVT
PVT

Re: Fording Intake Pipe Dimensions

Post by soupermike »

Thanks Elwood, I appreciate it!! I am going to pass this along to one of my buddies and see if he can make this happen for me. I will share any info I get from him.

Thanks
Mike
1954 M37 w/w
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I went to the MTA Military Vehicle show & swap meet in  Augusta, NJ yesterday and seen one of these Fording Pipes on a vendors table. I never seen one before in person and not knowing what a NOS one went for I couldn't haggle with him...By the way the show was great there were a few really nice M37's .

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

2 & 5/8" tubing is a weird size. I wonder if anyone makes it anymore......?