Who sells these?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

outpostm37
CPL
CPL

Who sells these?

Post by outpostm37 »

Replaced the rear wheel cylinders on the M37. Visited several auto parts houses looking for copper brake washers. Most had nothing, finally NAPA had a few in stock.
NAPA only had smooth brake washers (no concentric grooves) which I purchased. These have apparently gone away from common auto parts retailers. Have they been superseded with just the flat copper? I have no leaks as of yet.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Who sells these?

Post by NAM VET »

i measured mine carefully, and then looked on-line at the Autozone and NAPA sites, which listed them, but then they are "unavailable." So ordered the proper ones from VPW, and spares too. Put in new bleeder screws too while I was at it. And new lines too. Probably John Bizal has them too.

No leaks,

NV
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

John does, I got mine from him. The NAPA ones don't quite fit right and tended to leak.

-jim lee
outpostm37
CPL
CPL

Post by outpostm37 »

Thanks.
Did yours from VPW have the concentric grooves or just flat on each side of the washer?
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Flat is fine if your surfaces are clean and smooth. Will handle crazy pressures well beyond our brake system can produce.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Pretty sure the ones I got were grooved. Get extra's.

NV
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Been doing brake system building on these trucks for years. FACT; the grooves are in the brass fitting that attaches to the wheel cylinder and not in the copper washers. Reason being is simple, when the copper sealing washer is crushed when torqueing the banjo bolts, the grooves become imprinted into the washer which is the softer material, from the applied pressure. If the washers had grooves initially, (that likely would not match the line block grooves), which would be a recipe for a leaking connection.

Correct washers are available through NAPA and CARQUEST/ADVANCE AUTO, not likely in the store, but readily available via a competent parts man. Most often available in box quantities of 10 washers.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Howard's Ace Hardware carries them in my neighborhood as does Advance Auto.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"