NP 200 transfer case rear output housing removal ??

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

UTTAS
PVT
PVT

NP 200 transfer case rear output housing removal ??

Post by UTTAS »

Hey guys, I may have to pull the transfer rear case output housing to redo my rear output bearing pre-load. I have already removed the companion yoke and seal due to a leak. Upon disassembly the rear yoke was not torqued and had a lot of play. There was no damage to components and this possible pre-load is assuming once torqued to spec that the rear output still has aft play.

My question is this... Will the needle bearings inside the output shaft that are secured by the snap ring fall out when I remove the output housing, see figure 4? Or can I just remove the bolts and slide the housing and gear assembly free of the transfer case?

I do not want to remove the transfer case from the truck and just drop the rear cross member to allow the rear output to slide free, If I have to do the pre-load.
Rear output
Rear output
Page 3.jpg (148.16 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Thanks

UTTAS
1942 Willys MB Slat Grill 114640
1952 Strick M-100 Trailer
1958 Dodge M37B1 L245-1196
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: NP 200 transfer case rear output housing removal ??

Post by Elwood »

If I recall correctly, as long as the snap ring is in place (and the correct number of needle rollers are present), the rollers will not fall out when the assembly is removed.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
UTTAS
PVT
PVT

Re: NP 200 transfer case rear output housing removal ??

Post by UTTAS »

Elwood,

Thank you that's the answer I was looking for!!!
1942 Willys MB Slat Grill 114640
1952 Strick M-100 Trailer
1958 Dodge M37B1 L245-1196