Thickness of the cowl sheet metal?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

06boblee
SFC
SFC

Thickness of the cowl sheet metal?

Post by 06boblee »

Anyone know the thickness of the cowl sheet metal? (just in front of the windshield) I have a rust thru at the upper side.
Last edited by T. Highway on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved to the correct area of the forum.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Re: Thickness of the cowl sheet metal?

Post by Marmalute »

Isn’t there a horizontal seam just below that, that a guy could put a micrometer on?
Seems to me that the metal must have been stretched thinner when those panels were originally formed and that “corner” made because it seems like they often like to rust through in that area. In some cases it seems like water may have been trapped between the cowl and reinforcements and other times it seems like the inside of the cowl just never got painted like so many rigs from the 50s and early 60s - kinda like outa sight out of mind.
Shooting from the hip, I’d say 16ga. But that is just a guesstimate.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

thanks all.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

Marmalute is on the right trail..

Dodge found the best material they could (felt pads) to hold as much moisture between the cowl and the supports on either side :roll: . When your cowl is perforated the support underneath has a fair amount of rust/pitting on it. Cut rectangular patches out over the supports, blast or wheel the supports and treat, I found it easier to flange the repair pieces rather than butt weld them. Then do your body work magic.