New Brake Drums

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

JBizal
CPL
CPL

New Brake Drums

Post by JBizal »

Midwest Military is proud to announce the 2 year long struggle to get new drums is over. Now available for shipment. They are not on our website yet, but will be next week.
For now, call us to place any orders. 952-440-8778
Regards
John
MWM, Inc
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: New Brake Drums

Post by NAM VET »

all of us are so fortunate that you continue to make those parts which are becoming unobtainable for us.

thanks,

NV
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

That’s outstanding John!
Keep up the good work!
Doug
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Thank you for reproducing these very difficult to find parts John.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Indeed this is great news-thank you John for making these available!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Indeed, good news.

I'm curious to know how they're made (traditional foundry casting, powdered metal, or ?) and what is the material composition?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Now let's see here. The brake drums were unobtanium from what I hear. John has commissioned someone to make them and you want to know all the fine details so you could possibly find a cheaper way? If I were John I am pretty sure I would just say they are standard cast iron brake drums. And leave it at that. :roll: :lol: :lol: And I would also thank him in the process! Thanks John!
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

rickf wrote:Now let's see here. The brake drums were unobtanium from what I hear. John has commissioned someone to make them and you want to know all the fine details so you could possibly find a cheaper way? If I were John I am pretty sure I would just say they are standard cast iron brake drums. And leave it at that. :roll: :lol: :lol: And I would also thank him in the process! Thanks John!
I said I'm curious because I'm interested in buying a set of these drums. I don't think it's unusual or unreasonable to want to know something about a product - especially one as expensive as these are likely to be, or one that is as important to the safe operation of an on-highway motor vehicle as these are - before buying. I seriously doubt that the manufacturing process or metallurgy for these new drums is such a trade secret that it can't be described in at least general terms.

I know enough about business to know that manufacturing brake drums for very old trucks is not something I'm at all interested in doing, nor did I suggest or even hint that I wanted to do so. Your accusation that I want some sort of inside information to compete with John is unfounded and undeserved. Frankly, given the tiny market for these things, I'll be pleasantly surprised if a single supplier makes a profit; the second guy in the door is very unlikely to do anything except lose his investment and possibly the investment of the first manufacturer. I've been doing business with John for years, and been to his shop more than once; the last thing I intend to do is jeopardize his business as a future source of parts for my hobby.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
M60TC
PFC
PFC

Post by M60TC »

Part number #7705745 is back in stock!! John, your timing could not be more perfect. Thanks.

Don
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Elwood wrote:
rickf wrote:Now let's see here. The brake drums were unobtanium from what I hear. John has commissioned someone to make them and you want to know all the fine details so you could possibly find a cheaper way? If I were John I am pretty sure I would just say they are standard cast iron brake drums. And leave it at that. :roll: :lol: :lol: And I would also thank him in the process! Thanks John!
I said I'm curious because I'm interested in buying a set of these drums. I don't think it's unusual or unreasonable to want to know something about a product - especially one as expensive as these are likely to be, or one that is as important to the safe operation of an on-highway motor vehicle as these are - before buying. I seriously doubt that the manufacturing process or metallurgy for these new drums is such a trade secret that it can't be described in at least general terms.

I know enough about business to know that manufacturing brake drums for very old trucks is not something I'm at all interested in doing, nor did I suggest or even hint that I wanted to do so. Your accusation that I want some sort of inside information to compete with John is unfounded and undeserved. Frankly, given the tiny market for these things, I'll be pleasantly surprised if a single supplier makes a profit; the second guy in the door is very unlikely to do anything except lose his investment and possibly the investment of the first manufacturer. I've been doing business with John for years, and been to his shop more than once; the last thing I intend to do is jeopardize his business as a future source of parts for my hobby.
Settle down now, That was not my implication. That was meant more as a joke than anything just to point out that the fact that someone took the time and money up front to do this should be explanation enough. Since drum brakes are still being manufactured for modern use I would bet he is having them made by the same people. And I would be pretty damn sure he is not going to sell new brake drums that are not safe!
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Let us assume no malice intended, Gents, and be thankful that they are available. I know we are 100% aligned on that and appreciate the further explanation of the commentary within the thread! :)
Thanks!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
JBizal
CPL
CPL

Post by JBizal »

I had them manufactured by a brake parts company located here in the USA. We decided to make them a full cast drum rather than the original composite type. I actually had some NOS full cast drums that were used by the military to use as patterns. We ran into several problems along the way, but in the end, a good product was made. These drums also have the removable window for inspection and adjustment like the originals and not just the slit cut.
John
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Sounds like a quality product John, thanks.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

JBizal wrote:Midwest Military is proud to announce the 2 year long struggle to get new drums is over. Now available for shipment. They are not on our website yet, but will be next week.
For now, call us to place any orders. 952-440-8778
Regards
John
MWM, Inc
Good to know, I just got an M37 and heard they were hard to get. I plan on getting non powered disks up front and keeping drums in the rear.

Thanks,

Morgan Parker, CA